Clinical Trial to Assess Safety and Immunogenicity of Gam-COVID-Vac Combined Vector Vaccine for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-Сov-2) Infection
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04640233|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : November 23, 2020
Last Update Posted : June 2, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|COVID-19 Prevention||Biological: Gam-COVID-Vac Other: Placebo||Phase 2 Phase 3|
Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Multi-Centre Phase II/III Adaptive Clinical Trial to Assess the Safety and Immunogenicity of Gam-COVID-Vac Combined Vector Vaccine for SARS-Сov-2 Infection in Indian Healthy Subjects.
In phase II trial, 100 subjects of immunogenicity group will be enrolled in 3:1 (Test:Placebo) ratio. These 100 subjects will be assessed for safety and immunogenicity outcomes till Day 28 post the first dose of investigational medicinal product (IMP)/placebo administration and will continue with study assessments till Day 180. Safety and immunogenicity data collected till Day 28 will be submitted to the regulatory authority for recommendation to proceed with Phase III recruitment.
In Phase III trial, 1500 subjects will be enrolled and randomized in the ratio of 3:1 (Gam-COVID--Vac : Placebo).
Each subject will participate in this adaptive study phase II/III clinical trial for 180±14 days after the first dose of the IMP/placebo and will have one screening visit and seven on-site visits during the trial period. The IMP/placebo will be administered intramuscularly during vaccination Visits 1 and 3 (Day 1 and Day 21±2). The observation Visits 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 will be made on Day 19±2, Day 28±2, Day 42±2, Day 90±7, and Day 180±14, respectively. During the observation visits, vital indicators will be assessed in all subjects and changes in the subjects' condition and well being compared to the previous visit will be recorded. The schedule of examination procedures is mentioned in the Schedule of Event tables.
Additionally, the subjects will be able to have remote consultations with the study physician through the weekly telephonic follow-up.
Blood samples will be taken from immunogenicity group of phase II (all 100) and phase III (284 out of 1500) trials during the following visits to assess the immunogenicity parameters.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||1600 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Phase II/III Adaptive Clinical Trial to Assess the Safety and Immunogenicity of Gam-COVID-Vac Combined Vector Vaccine for SARS-Сov-2 Infection in Indian Healthy Subjects|
|Actual Study Start Date :||November 30, 2020|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||August 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 2021|
Experimental: Primary Group
Gam-COVID-Vac combined vector vaccine, 0.5 ml/dose + 0.5 ml/dose prime-boost immunization on day 1 (component I rAd26-S) and on day 21 (component II rAd5-S)
Vaccine for intramuscular injection
Placebo Comparator: Control Group
Placebo, 0.5 ml/dose + 0.5 ml/dose immunization on days 1 and 21
- Adverse Events [ Time Frame: For Phase II study - at Day 28; For Phase III study - till day 180 after first dose ]
For Phase II study - - Incidence & severity of adverse events (AEs) after first dose of IMP/Placebo
For Phase III study -
- Incidence of related serious adverse events (SAEs) following vaccination during the study
- Immunogenicity [ Time Frame: For Phase II study - Day 28 after first dose ]
For Phase II study -
- Seroconversion rate of SARS-CoV-2 glycoprotein-specific antibodies in immunogenicity group
- Immunogenicity [ Time Frame: For Phase III study - Day 42 after first dose ]For Phase III study - Geometric mean titre ratio of SARS-CoV-2 glycoprotein-specific antibodies between IMP and placebo in immunogenicity group
- Adverse Events [ Time Frame: Baseline to Day 180 ]
Incidence and severity of adverse events after injecting the first dose of the IMP/placebo
Incidence of SAE following vaccination
- Immunogenicity assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 21, Day 28, Day 42, Day 90, and Day 180 ]
Seroconversion rate of SARS-CoV-2 glycoprotein-specific antibodies in immunogenicity group
Seroconversion rate of SARS-CoV-2 virus-neutralizing antibodies in immunogenicity group
- Immunogenicity assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 21, Day 28, Day 42, Day 90, and Day 180 ]Geometric mean virus-neutralizing antibodies titre in immunogenicity group
- Immunogenicity assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 28, Day 42, Day 90 and Day 180 ]Interferon gamma concentration in T-cells after restimulation with the SARS-CoV-2 glycoprotein in cell mediated immunogenicity group
- Immunogenicity assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 28, Day 42, Day 90 and Day 180 ]The number of proliferating cluster of differentiation 4 (CD4) cell and cluster of differentiation 8 (CD8) cells in response to mitogen stimulation in cell mediated immunogenicity group
- Percentage of subjects with mild, moderate, severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) developed within 6 months after the first dose of the vaccine/placebo [ Time Frame: Baseline to Day 180 ]Comparing percentage of subjects developing COVID-19 disease between Gam-COVID-Vac combined vector vaccine and placebo based on severity course
- Incidence of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) developed within 6 months after the first dose in trial subjects [ Time Frame: Baseline to Day 180 ]Comparing incidence of COVID-19 disease between Gam-COVID-Vac combined vector vaccine and placebo
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04640233