A Phase 3 Study of Pembrolizumab + Epacadostat or Placebo in Subjects With Unresectable or Metastatic Melanoma (Keynote-252 / ECHO-301)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02752074|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 26, 2016
Results First Posted : May 15, 2019
Last Update Posted : August 27, 2020
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- Study Results
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Melanoma||Drug: pembrolizumab + epacadostat Drug: pembrolizumab + placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||706 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Combination With Epacadostat or Placebo in Subjects With Unresectable or Metastatic Melanoma (Keynote-252 / ECHO-301)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 21, 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 8, 2018|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 16, 2019|
Experimental: Pembrolizumab + Epacadostat
Pembrolizumab + Epacadostat
Drug: pembrolizumab + epacadostat
Active Comparator: Pembrolizumab + Placebo
Pembrolizumab + Placebo
Drug: pembrolizumab + placebo
- Progression-free Survival [ Time Frame: Assessed every 9 weeks for duration of study participation which is estimated to be 24 months ]Progression-free survival, defined as the time from date of randomization until the earliest date of disease progression, as determined by independent central review of objective radiographic disease assessments per RECIST 1.1, or death from any cause, whichever comes first.
- Overall Survival (OS) Rate at 6 Months [ Time Frame: Assessed every 9 weeks of study participation which is estimated to be 24 months. The OS rate at Month 6 was calculated. ]Defined as time from date of randomization to date of death due to any cause. OS was calculated using product-limit (Kaplan-Meier) method for censored data.
- Objective Response Rate (ORR) [ Time Frame: Assessed every 9 weeks for duration of study participation which is estimated to be 24 months ]Objective response rate (ORR) is defined as the percentage of the participants in the analysis population who have a confirmed complete response (CR) or partial response (PR) based on RECIST 1.1 by independent central review.
- Safety and Tolerability, as Assessed by Percentage of Participants With Adverse Events [ Time Frame: Through up to 90 days after end of treatment, up to 27 months ]Safety and tolerability, as assessed by percentage of participants with adverse events and changes in laboratory parameters.
- Duration of Response (DOR) [ Time Frame: Assessed every 9 weeks for duration of study participation which is estimated to be 24 months ]Defined as the time from the earliest date of qualifying response until earliest date of disease progression, per RECIST v1.1, or death from any cause, whichever comes first. Includes participants with complete response or partial response.
- Apparent Oral Clearance (CL/F) of Epacadostat [ Time Frame: Through up to 30 days after the end of treatment, up to 25 months ]Defined as oral dose clearance.
- Apparent Volume of Distribution (Vd/F) of Epacadostat [ Time Frame: Through up to 30 days after the end of treatment, up to 25 months ]Apparent volume of distribution after administration.
- Clearance (CL) of Pembrolizumab [ Time Frame: Through up to 30 days after the end of treatment, up to 25 months ]
- Volume of Distribution (V) of Pembrolizumab [ Time Frame: Through up to 30 days after the end of treatment, up to 25 months ]
- Formation of Anti-pembrolizumab Antibodies [ Time Frame: Through up to 30 days after the end of treatment, up to 25 months ]Evaluate the measurement of anti-drug antibodies (ADA).
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Have histologically or cytologically confirmed melanoma
- Have unresectable Stage III or Stage IV melanoma, as per AJCC staging system not amenable to local therapy
- A minimum of 1 measurable lesion by CT or MRI
- Provide a baseline tumor biopsy
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0 to 1
- Has received prior systemic treatment for unresectable or metastatic melanoma (except BRAF directed therapy)
- Has received prior therapy with an anti-PD-1, anti-PD-L1, anti-PD-L2, anti-CD137, or IDO1 inhibitor or any other antibody or drug specifically targeting checkpoint pathways other than anti-CTLA-4 which is permitted in the adjuvant setting
- Has received prior adjuvant therapy, monoclonal antibody or an investigational agent or device within 4 weeks or 5 half-lives (whichever is longer)
- Has an active infection requiring systemic therapy
- Has known history of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) (HIV 1/2 antibodies)
- Has known history of or is positive for Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C
- Is pregnant or breastfeeding or expecting to conceive or father children within the projected duration of the study, starting with the screening visit through 120 days after the last dose of study treatment
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02752074
|Study Director:||Mark Jones, MD||Incyte Corporation|
Documents provided by Incyte Corporation:
|Responsible Party:||Incyte Corporation|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
INCB 24360-301 (ECHO-301)
|First Posted:||April 26, 2016 Key Record Dates|
|Results First Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Last Update Posted:||August 27, 2020|
|Last Verified:||July 2020|
|Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:|
|Plan to Share IPD:||No|
Neoplasms, Germ Cell and Embryonal
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Neoplasms, Nerve Tissue
Nevi and Melanomas
Antineoplastic Agents, Immunological
Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action