Self-Affirmation and Defensiveness to Health Messages for the Self vs. a Close Other
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02317380|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 16, 2014
Last Update Posted : September 20, 2018
- Researchers want to learn about people s beliefs and values. They also want to learn about how people respond to information about cancer risk. They have created two short studies. They have combined these studies for convenience.
- To learn about people s beliefs and values, and about how people respond to information about cancer risk.
- Adults age 40-70 who are overweight, have never had cancer, and have an opposite-sex close relationship with someone in that age group who is also overweight.
- This study will take place online or in a laboratory.
- Participants will take part in two studies. One is Values Study. The other is Cancer Risk Information.
- In Values Study, some participants will choose the most important value from a list. They will write about why that value is important to them. Others will choose the least important value from a list. They will write about why that value may be important to someone else.
- In Cancer Risk Information, participants will read a health message about a cancer risk relevant to themselves or to a close other. Some will wear special glasses that track their eye movements as they read.
- Participants will then answer questions about their beliefs about cancer risk and their intentions to lose weight.
- Both studies will take 30 minutes.
|Condition or disease|
|Ego Social Science Cancer Prevention|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||1019 participants|
|Observational Model:||Ecologic or Community|
|Official Title:||Self-Affirmation and Defensiveness to Health Messages for the Self vs. a Close Other|
|Study Start Date :||December 13, 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 10, 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 18, 2018|
- Intentions to lose weight/ talk to doctor [ Time Frame: Immediately post-experiment ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02317380
|United States, Maryland|
|National Cancer Institute (NCI), 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Principal Investigator:||Rebecca A Ferrer, Ph.D.||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|