Effect of Microvesicles and Exosomes Therapy on β-cell Mass in Type I Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02138331|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified May 2014 by Wael Fouad Nassar, General Committee of Teaching Hospitals and Institutes, Egypt.
Recruitment status was: Enrolling by invitation
First Posted : May 14, 2014
Last Update Posted : May 14, 2014
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Diabetes Mellitus Type 1||Biological: MSC exosomes.||Phase 2 Phase 3|
- Twenty T1DM patients, age between 18-60 years with reduction of C-peptide chain more than 50%, C-peptide of more than 0.8 ng/mL at Screening and requiring insulin ≥0.4 IU per kg per day.
- Twenty T1DM patients of the same entry selection criteria will be subjected to all steps except the microvesicles administration as a control group.
- Study follow up period: Three months
- Gender: Both males and females are included
- Entry selection criteria include:
UACR less than 300, BUN between 10-20 mg/dl, serum creatinin between 0.6-1.4 mg/dl and normal liver enzymes, normal serum bilirubin, normal serum albumin and coagulation profile). C-peptide of more than 0.8 ng/mL at Screening. BMI 20-40 kgm/m2 - Exclusion criteria: Other autoimmune diseases. Pregnancy. Previous treatment with stem cells. All patients and controls will be investigated for HBV, HCV & HIV by PCR test before enrollment in the study and positivity for any of these parameters means exclusion of this patient from the study.
- The primary end point will be the end of three months follow up. At day (0):All patients and controls will be subjected to the following investigations: Liver functions tests, kidney functions tests, HbA1c, glucose tolerance test (GTT), fasting and 2 hrs.post prandial blood glucose levels, C-peptide chain level and calculated total daily insulin dose.
After three months (at the end of the study) the same investigations will be repeated.
Two intravenous infusions of cell free cord-blood derived mesenchymal stem cells [CB-MSC] microvesicles:
- The first dose will be purified exosomes, ranging between 40-180 nm, in a dose of the supernatant produced from (1.22-1.51) × 10 (6)/kg/IV.
(Characterization of exosomes:CD63, CD9, Alix, TSG 101, HSP 70).
- The second dose, after 7 days, will be the microvesicles, ranging between 180-1000 nm, in a dose of the supernatant produced from (1.22-1.51) × 10 (6)/kg/IV.
(Characterization of microvesicles: (Annexin V, Flotillin-2, selectin,integrin, CD40 metalloproteinase).
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||20 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase 1 Study of The Effect of Cell-Free Cord Blood Derived Microvesicles On β-cell Mass in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM) Patients|
|Study Start Date :||April 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||July 2014|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 2014|
The exosomes have exosome-associated proteins such as the tetraspanin proteins, CD9 and CD81, Alix, Tsg101, and RNA that consists primarily of short RNAs of less than 300 nm. Some of these RNAs are microRNAs that are predominantly pre-microRNAs..Additionally, CB-SC displayed very low immunogenicity as indicated by expression of a very low level of major histocompatibility complex (MHC) antigens and failure to stimulate the proliferation of allogeneic lymphocytes.
Biological: MSC exosomes.
Exosomes: (Size) 40-100 nm, (markers) CD63, CD9, Alix, TSG 101, HSP 70 Microvesicles: (Size) 100-1000 nm, (markers) Annexin V, Flotillin-2, selectin, integrin, CD40 metalloproteinase
- Total daily insulin dose [ Time Frame: Three months ]All T1DM patients with identified pre-study insulin dose and exosomes and microvesicles will be given then weekly follow up of the total daily insulin dose will be measured. After 3 months We calculate the total daily dose of insulin that maintain the RBS levels between 120-160 mg/dl at any point of the evaluation period.
- Pancreatic β-cell Mass [ Time Frame: 3 months ]Pancreatic β-cell Mass levels will be assessed before and after the 3 months study period of time.
- Hemoglobin A1c [ Time Frame: Three months ]HbA1c levels before enrollment and at the end of the study
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02138331
|Sahel Teaching Hospital|
|Sahel, Cairo, Egypt, 11522|
|Sahel Teaching Hospital - General Committee of Teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Shubra, Cairo, Egypt, 11522|
|Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Commettee of Teaching Hospitals and Institutes.|
|Shubra, Cairo, Egypt, 11522|
|Study Chair:||Wael F Nassar, MD||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Study Director:||Mervat El Ansary, MD||Cairo University|
|Principal Investigator:||Abdelnaser A Saad, MSc||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Mosaad A Hamid, MD||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Wael M Esa, MSc||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Sameh Shawki, MSc||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Marwa Mohammad, MSc||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Tamer Shehab, MRCP||Sahel Teaching Hospital, General Committee of teaching Hospitals and Institutes|
|Principal Investigator:||Heba A Ghaffar, MSc||Cairo University|