Effect of Deferasirox on Endocrine Complications in Subjects With Transfusion Dependent Thalassemia (CENTAurus)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02069886|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn
First Posted : February 24, 2014
Last Update Posted : April 20, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Thalassemia (Transfusion Delendent)||Drug: deferasirox||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||A Multicenter, Open-label, Single Arm, Interventional Phase IV Study, to Evaluate the Effect of Deferasirox on Endocrine Complications in Subjects With Transfusion Dependent Thalassemia|
|Study Start Date :||December 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2018|
single arm. all patients will receive deferasirox
125, 250, 500 mg dispersable tablets
- Change from baseline of glucose blood level measured after 2 h after receiving a glucose-equivalent oral challenge [ Time Frame: 36 months ]
The primary efficacy variable is the change (mg/dl) from baseline to 36 months of glucose plasma levels measured 2 hr post glusose equivalent oral challange.
After a 12-hour overnight fasting, at zero time (baseline) blood sample will be drawn and afterwards patients will receive a glucose-equivalent oral challenge (75 grams). After glucose loading plasma samples will be drawn at 30, 60, 90, 120 minutes for determination of plasma glucose. This will be repeated every 6 month till end of study
- Glucose of OGTT ( AUC) [ Time Frame: baseline and every 6 months measurement of 2hour Glocose of OGTT ]change in of glucose metabolism during deferasirox treatment measuring the change versus baseline of 2-hr and fasting glucose plasma level of OGTT.After a 12-hour overnight fasting, at zero time (baseline) blood sample will be drawn and afterwards patients will receive a glucose-equivalent oral challenge (75 grams). After glucose loading plasma samples will be drawn at 30, 60, 90, 120 minutes for determination of plasma glucose . This will be repeated every 6 months till end of study
- change on insulin secretion and sensitivity [ Time Frame: baseline and every 6 months measurement of 2hr Glucose OGTT ]Change in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity at every measurement versus screening. Stumvol Formula will be applied to values of 2hr glucose OCTT to calucolate insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity. After a 12-hour overnight fasting, at zero time (baseline) blood sample will be drawn and afterwards patients will receive a glucose-equivalent oral challenge (75 grams). After glucose loading plasma samples will be drawn at 30, 60, 90, 120 minutes for determination of insulin concentration.
- Measurement of thyroid hormones TSH and FT4 [ Time Frame: baseline and every 12 months ]Changes in plasma levels of TSH and FT4 at every measurement versus screening. Blood samples will be drawn from the patient at baseline and every 12 month till end of study and plansa concentration of thyroid hormons TSH and FT4 will be assessed.
- Risk factors for the impairment of glucose homeostasis [ Time Frame: baseline and monthly till End of Study ]information on age, sex, ethnicity, BMI, metabolic syndrome (hypertension, dyslipidemia, hypertrygliceridemia), chronic use of steroids, use of immunosuppressive drugs, growth hormonal deficit will be collected on a monthly basis till end of study
- Changes in endocrine funcionts parameters [ Time Frame: baseline and monthly till EOS ]- Female patients will be assessed for the presence or absence of menses every month versus baseline .Use of current hormonal replacing therapy, if any (e.g. thyroxin therapy for patients with non-compensated hypothyroidism, hormonal replacement drugs for hypogonadal patients) will be checked on a monthly basis versus baseline
- Changes in parameters of bone metabolism [ Time Frame: baseline, monthly or every 6 months till end of study ]- Blood samples wiil be drawn to measure levels of serum calcium, phosphorus, alkaline phosphatase, vitamin D levels (25-hydroxycholecalciferol), serum calcium, parathormone (intact 1-84 PTH) from baseline to the end of study. Blood samples will be drawn to assess also Vitamin D and parathormone at baseline and then every six months. The intact parathormone will be assessed by evaluating the 1-84 PTH form. Inorganic phosphorus, serum calcium will be assessed at baseline and then monthly; alkaline phosphatase will be evaluated at baseline, every two weeks during the first month of treatment and monthly thereafter till EOS.
- Iron overload status [ Time Frame: baseline and regularly till end of study (monthly or yearly as specified) ]Blood samples will be drawn to assess Serum Ferriting. Liver and cardiac iron will be assessed by MRI (MRI R2 annual measurements for liver, MRI T2* annual measurements for cardiac); -Relationship between changes in SF, LIC and cardiac T2* and changes in primary (OGTT) and secondary endpoints (glucose metabolism trend, insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity);
- Safety of deferasirox therapy [ Time Frame: baseline and at every scheduled visit (weekly for the first months or after dose escalation and monthly thereafter or yearly till EOS ]Clinical and laboratory monitoring of AEs and SAEs (in particular changes in hepatic, renal, audiometric and ophthalmology parameters). Blood samples will be drawn to assess liver functions, renal funtions. Urine test will be performed to assess renal functions. An audiometric and ophalmologic visit will be done to assess eyes and ears functions.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02069886
|Study Director:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Novartis Pharmaceuticals|