A Study of Cabozantinib (XL184) vs Everolimus in Subjects With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma (METEOR)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01865747|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 31, 2013
Results First Posted : July 18, 2017
Last Update Posted : April 27, 2021
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- Study Results
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Drug: Cabozantinib tablets Drug: Everolimus (Afinitor) tablets||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||658 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3, Randomized, Controlled Study of Cabozantinib (XL184) vs Everolimus in Subjects With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma That Has Progressed After Prior VEGFR Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy|
|Study Start Date :||June 2013|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 22, 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 15, 2021|
Experimental: Cabozantinib (XL184)
Cabozantinib (XL184) 60 mg tablet once daily.
Drug: Cabozantinib tablets
Other Name: XL184
Active Comparator: Everolimus (Afinitor)
Everolimus (Afinitor) 10 mg tablet once daily.
Drug: Everolimus (Afinitor) tablets
- Progression-free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: PFS is measured from the date of randomization until the date of first documented disease progression or date of death from any cause as determined by the Independent Radiology Committee (IRC) per RECIST 1.1, assessed for up to 17 months. ]The primary analysis of PFS is the time from randomization to date of first documented tumor progression as determined by investigator (per RECIST 1.1 criteria) or death due to any cause, whichever occurred first. A Kaplan-Meier analysis was performed to estimate the median duration.
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: OS was measured from the time of randomization until 320 deaths, approximately 28 months ]Overall Survival (OS) is defined as the time from randomization to the date of death. Participants that had not died were censored at last known date alive. Median OS was calculated using Kaplan-Meier estimates. Interim analyses for OS occurred after 320 deaths (78% of the total OS events needed for final analysis).
- Objective Response Rate (ORR) [ Time Frame: ORR was assessed at 8 weeks post-randomization, every 8 weeks for 12 months, and every 12 weeks until date of disease progression or death, up to May 2015 (approximately 21 months) ]Objective Response Rate (ORR) is the number of participants with a best response of complete response (CR) or partial response (PR) divided by number of randomized participants. ORR was assessed by the Independent Radiology Committee (IRC) per RECIST 1.1 which was confirmed by a subsequent visit >= 28 days later, and was analyzed in the Intent to Treat (ITT) population at the time of the primary analysis of Progression Free Survival (PFS). The data cutoff date was 22 May 2015.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
Select Inclusion Criteria:
- Documented histological or cytological diagnosis of renal cell cancer with a clear-cell component.
- Measurable disease as determined by the investigator.
- Must have received at least one VEGFR-targeting TKI (eg, sorafenib, sunitinib, axitinib, pazopanib or tivozanib).
- Recovery from toxicities related to any prior treatments, unless AE(s) are clinically nonsignificant and/or stable on supportive therapy.
- Adequate organ and marrow function.
- Sexually active fertile subjects(male and female)must agree to use medically accepted methods of contraception during the course of the study and for 4 months after the last dose of study treatment.
- Female subjects of childbearing potential must not be pregnant at screening.
Select Exclusion Criteria:
- Prior treatment with everolimus, or any other specific or selective TORC1/PI3K/AKT inhibitor (eg, temsirolimus), or cabozantinib.
- Receipt of any type of small molecule kinase inhibitor (including investigational kinase inhibitor) within 2 weeks before randomization.
- Receipt of any type of anticancer antibody (including investigational antibody) within 4 weeks before randomization.
- Radiation therapy for bone metastasis within 2 weeks, any other external radiation therapy within 4 weeks before randomization. Systemic treatment with radionuclides within 6 weeks before randomization. Subjects with clinically relevant ongoing complications from prior radiation therapy are not eligible.
- Known brain metastases or cranial epidural disease unless adequately treated with radiotherapy and/or surgery and stable for at least 3 months before randomization.
- Concomitant anticoagulation at therapeutic doses with oral anticoagulants or platelet inhibitors.
- Chronic treatment with corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive agents.
- Serious illness other than cancer.
- Major surgery within 3 months before randomization. Complete wound healing from major surgery must have occurred 1 month before randomization and from minor surgery at least 10 days before randomization.
- Pregnant or lactating females.
- Diagnosis of another malignancy within 2 years before randomization, except for superficial skin cancers, or localized, low grade tumors.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01865747
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||May 31, 2013 Key Record Dates|
|Results First Posted:||July 18, 2017|
|Last Update Posted:||April 27, 2021|
|Last Verified:||April 2021|
renal cell cancer
vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2)
tyrosine kinase inhibitor
hepatocyte growth factor receptor protein (MET)
von Hippel-Lindau gene
Carcinoma, Renal Cell
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Neoplasms by Site
Female Urogenital Diseases
Female Urogenital Diseases and Pregnancy Complications
Male Urogenital Diseases
Protein Kinase Inhibitors
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action
Physiological Effects of Drugs