Evaluation of the Effects of Rehabilitation Using the "Wii" on Upper Limb Kinematics in Chronic Stroke Patients. (WII)
|Post-stroke Hemiparetic Patients (at Least 6 Months Post Stroke) Age Between 18-75 Years||Behavioral: WII Rehabilitation Behavioral: Traditional rehabilitation|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Participant)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Evaluation of the Effects of Rehabilitation Using the "Wii" on Upper Limb Kinematics in Chronic Stroke Patients.|
- Degree of elbow extension during an active reaching task [ Time Frame: 6 minutes ]
- Clinical [ Time Frame: 1 hour and half ]Pain (VAS) (evaluated at the beginning and end of each session) Borg scale of perceived effort (evaluated at the end of each session) Fugl-Meyer (upper limb section) (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period) Box and Block test (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period) Action Research Arm Test (ARAT) (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period) Motor Activity Log (MAL) (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period) Stroke Impact scale (SIS) (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period) Satisfaction (VAS) (evaluated at the end of the rehabilitation period)
- Kinematic measures [ Time Frame: 45 minutes ]Parameters relating to hand trajectory (smoothness, curvature, velocity) and upper limb joint angles (trunk flexion, shoulder abduction) during an active reaching task using an electromagnetic motion capture system. (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period)
- Kinetic measures [ Time Frame: 45 minutes ]Capacity to regulate grip force during a visuo-motor task using an instrumented device. (evaluated before and after the rehabilitation period)
- Movement strategies during 'Wii rehabilitation' [ Time Frame: 45 minutes ]The number and extent of the movements made with the upper limb during 'wii rehabilitation' will be recorded using accelerometers.
- MRI [ Time Frame: 1 hour ]
The extent and localization of the lesions will be evaluated using MRIcro and correlations will be sought between the lesion locations and the kinematic and kinetic characteristics of the patients.
Evaluations will be carried out during the week preceding and the week following the rehabilitation period. The evaluating therapist will be blinded to the type of rehabilitation received by the patient.
|Study Start Date:||January 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||June 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||November 2016 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Rehabilitation using Nintendo-Wii
30 patients will receive rehabilitation using Nintendo-Wii.
Behavioral: WII Rehabilitation
30 patients will receive "Wii" rehabilitation of 15 minutes (tennis, boxing and golf), in comparison with 10 healthy subjects.
Active Comparator: Traditional physiotherapy
30 patients will receive traditional physiotherapy.
Behavioral: Traditional rehabilitation
30 patients will receive the traditional rehabilitation.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01806883
|Garches, Hauts-de-Seine, France, 92380|
|Contact: Djamel Bensmail, MD +33 (1)1 47 10 70 60 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator:||Djamel Bensmail, MD||Physical medicine and rehabilation Department, Hôpital RAYMOND POINCARE, 92380 Garches, France|