Nurse Led Follow-up After Total Knee Arthroplasty (NFTKA)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01771315|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 18, 2013
Last Update Posted : June 3, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Osteoarthritis||Behavioral: Telephone follow-up|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||117 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Nurse Led Follow-up After Total Knee Arthroplasty - a Randomized Trial|
|Study Start Date :||January 2013|
|Primary Completion Date :||November 2014|
|Study Completion Date :||November 2014|
Experimental: telephone follow-up
Nurse led follow-up in form of consultation by telephone 4 days and 2weeks after discharge, respectively as a supplement to conventional admission course.
Behavioral: Telephone follow-up
The consultation is structured by predefined themes relevant for identifying health related problems in regard to illness to give adequate education and counseling. The form of each consultation will vary according to the individual needs of the patients.
No Intervention: Usual treatment
All patients follow conventional admission course which implies preoperative seminar and a discharge planning consultation on the day of discharge. The patients are discharged to home, referred to physiotherapy in the community and a scheduled follow-up by the surgeon after 3 month in the orthopedic outpatient clinic.
- Change in physical function assessed by ≥ 12 points in physical function score in the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis (WOMAC) Index [ Time Frame: 3 days, 1, 3, 6 and 12 months post-surgery ]The WOMAC Index is disease specific measuring health status om three subscales: pain, stiffness and physical function
- Change in the pain and stiffness score in WOMAC Index [ Time Frame: 3 days, 1, 3, 6 and 12 months post-surgery ]
- Changes in all scores in the subscales in Medical Outcomes Study Short Form (SF-36) [ Time Frame: 3 days, 1, 3, 6 and 12 months post-surgery ]A generic measure of health related quality of life
- Change in the score in the General Self-Efficacy Scale [ Time Frame: 3 days, 1, 3 and 6 months post-surgery ]An unidimensional measure of general self-efficacy.
- Number of acute visits to the orthopedic outpatient clinic [ Time Frame: 3 days, 1, 3, 6 anf 12 months post-surgery ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01771315
|University Hospital Gentofte|
|Hellerup, Gentofte, Denmark, 2900|
|Principal Investigator:||Kirsten Szöts||University Hospital Gentofte|