Effect of a Social Script iPAD Application for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder
The purpose of the research is to test the effectiveness of the social story intervention delivered using the iPAD application "Going to Imaging" on the anxiety, challenging child behaviors, child injuries and completion rates among children with ASD undergoing medical imaging procedures. A secondary purpose is to test the effect of this intervention on the anxiety levels of the parents of ASD children undergoing medical imaging procedures.
H1: Children with ASD who are exposed to a story book "Here the investigators go to medical imaging (x-ray)" to prepare for medical imaging compared with children with ASD exposed to treatment as usual (TAU) will have:
- Lower anxiety as measured by heart rate respiratory rate, and blood pressure (baseline compared to up to two hours later).
- Exhibit fewer challenging behaviors as measured by a behavior observation scale (developed for the study (up to 2 hours after baseline)
- Higher procedure completion rate.
- Shorter time to complete a procedure.
Less child injuries.
H2: Compared to parents of ASD children exposed to treatment as usual (TAU), parents of children with ASD who are exposed to a story book "Here the investigators go to medical imaging (x-ray)" to prepare for medical imaging will have:
- Lower state anxiety as measured by the State Anxiety Inventory ( baseline ).
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Prevention
|Official Title:||Effect of a Social Script iPAD Application for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD) Undergoing Medical Imaging Procedures|
- Child behaviors [ Time Frame: up to 2 hours ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]Child behaviors measured during imaging procedures with the behaviors observation tool created for this study.
- Parent anxiety [ Time Frame: Baseline ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]State anxiety measure www.mindgarden.com
- Child anxiety [ Time Frame: Baseline ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Vital signs
- Change in parent anxiety [ Time Frame: Change from baseline in state anxiety measure to 30 minutes later ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Parent anxiety is measured at baseline www.mindgarden.com and again after the intervention to see if there is a change.
- Change in child anxiety [ Time Frame: change in child anxiety from baseline to 30 minutes later ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Child anxiety is measured at baseline vital signs and again after the intervention to see if there is a change.
|Study Start Date:||October 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||July 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||July 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Patient teaching
ipad application for social script book
Other: Patient teaching
The Social script application is an story book on the iPAD with photos and script explaining the steps of getting a medical image such as a CAT scan from the perspective of the child.
Other Name: Going to Imaging ipad application
Parent state anxiety is measured at baseline with the 20-item State anxiety measure from www.mindgarden.com. Child anxiety is measured at baseline with vital signs (heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate). Behaviors will be observed and recorded on the behavior observation tool up to 2 hours after the baseline measure (during the imaging).
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01655485
|United States, Wisconsin|
|Children's Hospital of Wisconsin|
|Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States, 53201|
|Principal Investigator:||Norah L Johnson, PhD||Children's Hospital and Health System Foundation, Wisconsin|