Evaluation of Xpert MTB/RIF Assay for the Rapid Identification of TB and TB Rifampin Resistance in Pulmonary Tuberculosis Suspects
The recruitment status of this study is unknown. The completion date has passed and the status has not been verified in more than two years.
Verified April 2012 by Cepheid.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted: April 30, 2012
Last Update Posted: May 2, 2012
The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government.
Read our disclaimer for details.
AIDS Clinical Trials Group
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Information from the National Library of Medicine
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years and older (Adult, Senior)
|Sexes Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
HIV-1-infected and -uninfected men and women, 18 years and older, pulmonary TB suspects who have either a) smear positive sputum or b) clinical suspicion of pulmonary TB including one or more self-reported symptoms of cough, night sweats, weight loss, or fever. Within the 180 days prior to collection of the initial sputum sample, participants will have received none or fewer than 48 hours of TB treatment and, in those 48 hours, fewer than three doses of TB treatment.
- Suspected pulmonary TB (more information on the criterion can be found in the protocol)
- Men and women age equal to or greater than 18 years
- Ability and willingness of candidate or legal guardian/representative to provide informed consent
- Collection of two sputum samples for AFB smear and culture collected within 7 days prior to entry.
- Availability of two samples for Xpert MTB/RIF testing collected within 7 days prior to entry.
- Determination and/or documentation of HIV status
- For HIV-positive candidates, a CD4+ cell count obtained within 45 days prior to study entry or drawn at the time of entry at any laboratory that has a CLIA certification or its equivalent.
- Either receipt of ≥48 cumulative hours OR three or more doses of anti-TB treatment within 180 days prior to completion of second sputum collection for Xpert testing
- Receipt of more than 7 cumulative days of antibiotics intended for bacterial treatment that may have anti-tuberculosis activity, within the 14 days prior to first sputum collection
- Active drug or alcohol use or dependence that, in the opinion of the site investigator, would interfere with adherence to study requirements