Evaluation of Educational Intervention to Teach Principles of Evidence-based Medicine (EbM) in Biology Classes
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01567267|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : March 30, 2012
Last Update Posted : March 3, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice||Behavioral: Experimental educational intervention Behavioral: Standard educational intervention||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||87 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Phase II Study of a Short Term Educational Intervention for Upcoming Biology Teachers to Teach Principles of Evidence-based Medicine (EbM) in Biology Classes at High-school|
|Study Start Date :||February 2010|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||September 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||May 2019|
Experimental: Experimental educational intervention
Experimental educational intervention
Behavioral: Experimental educational intervention
Educational intervention consisting of a 4-day-course in Evidence-based Medicine and Good Scientific Practice combined with the method of Problem-based Learning.
Active Comparator: Standard educational intervention
Standard educational intervention
Behavioral: Standard educational intervention
Educational intervention on the didactics of biology (4-day-course) not containing elements of Evidence-based Medicine, Good Scientific Practice or Problem-based learning.
- Difference in knowledge about EbM/GSP [ Time Frame: Before (day1), during (day 2) and after (day 4) intervention ]Difference in knowledge about EbM/GSP measured by alternating standardized, pre-validated, single-best/short-answer questionnaires consisting of 20 questions each
- Difference in skills about critically appraising scientific literature [ Time Frame: Before (day 1), during (day 2) and after (day 4) intervention ]Difference in skills about critically appraising scientific literature measured by alternating randomized-controlled trials evaluated by a standardized checklist related to items of the CONSORT statement.
- Skills in teaching principles of EbM and GSP to high school students in intervention group [ Time Frame: After educational intervention (day 5) ]Skill in teaching principles of EbM and GSP are evaluated for preparation of lessons using a standardized preparation form and performance of lessons evaluated by transcription of video tapes from each participant in the intervention group using a consented evaluation catalogue
- Overall acceptance of educational intervention study participants [ Time Frame: During (day 2) and after intervention (day 4) ]Overall acceptance of educational intervention is evaluated by standardized questionnaires at day 2 and day 4 in the educational intervention group.
- Overall acceptance of study lessons for biology high-school students [ Time Frame: After study lessons (day 5) ]Overall acceptance of study lessons for biology high-school students is evaluated by a standardized questionnaire at day 5.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01567267
|University of Siegen, Section of biology and und their didactics|
|Siegen, Germany, 57068|
|Principal Investigator:||Reinhard Strametz, MD||EbM Working Group, Institute for General Practice, Faculty of Medicine, Goethe University, Frankfurt/Germany|