Efficacy and Safety of DLBS1425 as Neoadjuvant in Stage II or III Breast Cancer Patients
This is a 2-arm, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study aiming to determine the efficacy and safety of DLBS1425 in combination with anthracyclin-based regimen as a neoadjuvant therapy in subjects with previously untreated stage II or III (operable) breast cancer.
The anthracyclin-based regimen in the study will be either CAF/iv and CEF/iv only. The neoadjuvant anthracyclin-based chemotherapy will be given for 3 cycles. The length of each cycle will be 21-28 days.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Combination of DLBS1425 With Anthracyclin-based Regimen as a Neoadjuvant Therapy in Subjects With Stage II or III Breast Cancer|
- Clinical response as measured by RECIST [ Time Frame: 63 - 84 days ]Best overall response rate defined as proportion of subjects with either complete or partial response, according to the RECIST criteria at the end of study.
- Rate of clinical response [ Time Frame: 21 - 84 days ]Rate of clinical response categorized as complete response, partial response, stable, and progressive disease, which will be evaluated clinically at the end of every cycle
- Rate of pathological complete response (after surgery) [ Time Frame: 7 - 14 days after the last cycle ]Pathological complete response based on histological examination will be assessed after surgery. The surgery itself will be performed within 7 - 14 days after the last cycle.
- Rate of potential breast-conserving procedure [ Time Frame: 63-84 days ]Rate of potential breast-conserving procedure as assessed by mammography, will be evaluated at the end of study.
- The change level of relevant biomarkers [ Time Frame: 21 - 84 days ]Relevant biomarkers related to breast cancer (CEA, CA-15.3, and serum LDH)will be measured at baseline and at the end of every cycle.
- Haematology [ Time Frame: 21-84 days ]Haematology parameters (Haemoglobin level, Haematocrit, red blood cell count, white blood cell count as well as its differentials, and platelet count) will be evaluated at baseline and the end of every cycle.
- Liver Function [ Time Frame: 21-84 days ]Liver function parameters (alkaline phosphatase, ALT, AST, bilirubin levels)will be measured at baseline, and the end of every cycle.
- Renal Function [ Time Frame: 21-84 days ]Renal Function (serum creatinine and Blood urea nitrogen levels) will be measured at baseline and the end of every cycle.
- Cardiac function [ Time Frame: 63-84 days ]Cardiac function will be assessed by ECHOcardiography at baseline and the end of study.
- Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 1 - 84 days ]Adverse events as well as number of subjects experienced the events will be observed and evaluated during the study period (from the first dose of study medication taken (Day 1) till the end of study treatment (Day 63 - Day 84).
- The improvement of quality of life [ Time Frame: 21 - 84 days ]The improvement of quality of life of the subjects as measured at baseline and at the end of each treatment cycle, using Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT-G) Questionnaire (FACIT.org)
|Study Start Date:||August 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||November 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||November 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
DLBS1425 capsule 150 mg thrice daily for 3 cycles @ 21 days. CAF (Cyclophosphamide (500 mg/m2 iv), Doxorubicin 50 mg/m2 iv, Fluorouracil 500 mg/m2 iv) or CEF (Cyclophosphamide 500 mg/m2 iv, Epirubicin 70 mg/m2 iv, Fluorouracil 500 mg/m2 iv) regimens on Day-1 of every cycle for the total of 3 cycles.
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Drug: Placebo DLBS1425
Placebo DLBS1425 capsule thrice daily for 3 cycles @ 21 days. CAF (Cyclophosphamide (500 mg/m2 iv), Doxorubicin 50 mg/m2 iv, Fluorouracil 500 mg/m2 iv) or CEF (Cyclophosphamide 500 mg/m2 iv, Epirubicin 70 mg/m2 iv, Fluorouracil 500 mg/m2 iv) regimens on Day-1 of every cycle for the total of 3 cycles.
The duration of treatment for each subject will be 63 - 84 days (or 3 cycles). The cycle will be initiated at Day-1 (D1 of the 1st cycle). The subsequent cycles will start on Day-22 (D1 of the 2nd cycle) and Day-43 (D1 of the 3rd cycle). DLBS1425 capsules will be administered orally every day (starting from D1 of each cycle) during the study period. All subjects will be under direct supervision of a medical doctor during the study period.
Clinical and laboratory examinations to evaluate investigational drug's efficacy and safety will be performed at baseline and at the end of every cycle over the study course; whilst breast-CT scan will be performed at baseline and at the end of study course.
In addition, at the end of study, at the discretion of Investigator and subjects' own willingness, subjects with good response to treatment (i.e. RECIST and pathological evaluation are regarded as complete or partial response) may continue their breast-cancer therapy with DLBS1425.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01433562
|Surgery-Oncology Division, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Airlangga / Dr. Soetomo Hospital|
|Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia, 60286|
|Principal Investigator:||Heru Purwanto, MD, SpB(K)Onk, MSc.||Surgery-Oncology Division, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Airlangga / Dr. Soetomo Hospital|