Centrifugation vs. Multiple-pass Hemofiltration of the Residual Cardiopulmonary Bypass Volume
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01416792|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 15, 2011
Last Update Posted : April 1, 2013
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Coronary Artery Disease Heart Valve Diseases||Procedure: Centrifugation Procedure: Multiple-pass hemofiltration||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||61 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Care Provider)|
|Official Title:||Outcomes & Biochemical Parameters Following Cardiac Surgery: Effects of Transfusion of Residual Blood Using Centrifugation and Multiple-Pass Hemofiltration|
|Study Start Date :||March 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2012|
|Experimental: Multiple-pass hemofiltration||
Other Name: Cell washingProcedure: Multiple-pass hemofiltration
The residual volume from the CPB circuit is pumped though a hemofilter for multiple passes removing the crystalloid component thereby concentrating the plasma.
Other Name: Hemofiltration
- Hemoglobin [ Time Frame: Baseline, Hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum hemoglobin will be measured from the patient at baseline, after hemodilution, and at 12-hours post-operatively in the ICU.
- Albumin [ Time Frame: baseline, hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum albumin in g/L will be measured at baseline, hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU.
- Total Protein [ Time Frame: Baseline, hemodilution, and-12 hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum total protein will be measured in g/L at the specified time intervals.
- Allogeneic blood products [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The volume of allogeneic blood products will be recorded.
- Ventilation time [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The time between intubation in OR and extubation in the ICU.
- Chest tube drainage [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The total volume of chest tube drainage in ICU.
- Vasoactive Inotrope score [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]We will calculate the vasoactive inotrope score to determine if there is an increased risk of adverse outcomes.
- Length of stay in ICU [ Time Frame: Within 24 hours ]The average time of discharged from ICU.
- Markers of inflammation [ Time Frame: At 12-hours ICU ]Inflammatory mediators: tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), soluble receptors for advanced glycation end products (sRAGE), and high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs CRP).
- Indicators of Kidney Function [ Time Frame: 12-hours ICU ]Serum creatinine, creatinine clearance, volume of IV fluid intake, volume of urine output, fluid balance
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01416792
|Royal University Hospital|
|Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W8|