Ecology of Medical Care - Utilisation of Health Care in Austria (ECOHCARE)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01261845|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 17, 2010
Last Update Posted : April 20, 2015
BACKGROUND: A proper understanding of the attitudes towards its own health status and concise estimates concerning the health seeking behavior of the different subgroups of a population are highly desirable. The structure of the Austrian population with regard to its age distribution and the proportion of people with immigrant backgrounds have been rapidly changing in recent years. Questions of allocating limited resources and meeting the needs of under-served populations have become increasingly important. However, data that could illuminate these issues are sparse and therefore obtaining them will be important for making sensible policy decisions.
METHODS: A telephone survey of the Austrian population for the assessment of the occurrence of any health complaint and the subsequent help seeking behavior with special emphasize on under-served minority groups - migrant population, elder people, and female gender.
AIMS: Our analysis of the data obtained should help to clarify some hitherto undocumented aspects and should provide the evidence for building a better health care infrastructure with equality of access and efficient coordination. We also hope that this information can help to allocate resources strategically according to needs and cost-efficiency in health care.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||3500 participants|
|Observational Model:||Ecologic or Community|
|Official Title:||Ecology of Medical Care - Utilisation of Health Care in Austria|
|Study Start Date :||February 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||October 2011|
|Study Completion Date :||March 2013|
- Prevalence of health complaints [ Time Frame: 1 month ]The occurrence of any health complaint and the subsequent help seeking behaviour with special emphasis on under-served minority groups.
- Prevalence of dysphoric disorders [ Time Frame: 2 weeks ]The prevalence of depression and GAD will be assessed by the PHQ-2 and GAD-2 respectively.
- Utilization of CAM [ Time Frame: 1 month ]The utilization of CAM and a classification scheme for CAM methods in Austria.
- Utilization of Health Care Resources in Austria [ Time Frame: 1 month ]The utilization of health care resources of the Austrian population with respect to Primary, Secondary and Tertiary levels of care.
- Case vignettes for calibration of response measures [ Time Frame: 1 month ]The use of case vignettes to calibrate response measures across various ethnic minority groups.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01261845
|Department for General Practice and Family Medicine, Center for Public Health at the Medical University of Vienna|
|Vienna, Austria, A-1090|
|Principal Investigator:||Otto Pichlhoefer, MD||MedUni Vienna|