Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effectiveness of Group Treatment With War-Exposed Bosnian Adolescents
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00480480|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 31, 2007
Last Update Posted : May 31, 2007
Context: This is the first multi-site randomized controlled study of the effectiveness of a group treatment for war-exposed adolescents delivered in-country within a public school system.
Objective: To evaluate the effectiveness of a trauma/grief-focused group treatment program in reducing symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and traumatic grief in war-exposed Bosnian youths attending 10 secondary schools located in Central Bosnia.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Depression Grief (Traumatic Grief and Existential Grief)||Behavioral: Trauma and Grief Component Therapy for Adolescents (Group Version)|
Design: A randomized controlled trial conducted during the 2000-2001 school year, with 4-month follow-up, compared group treatment to a psychoeducation/skill-based school milieu intervention.
Setting and Participants: Students attending 10 Bosnian secondary schools exposed to severe trauma, traumatic loss, and severe adversity, reporting severe persisting symptoms of PTSD, depression, or traumatic grief, and functional impairment.
Intervention: Students were randomly assigned to either 17-session Trauma and Grief Component Therapy (n=71), or a school milieu intervention (n=73), both conducted by trained school counselors.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||144 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Long-Term Post- War Adjustment in Bosnian Adolescents, Their Parents and Teachers|
|Study Start Date :||September 2000|
|Study Completion Date :||October 2001|
- UCLA PTSD Reaction Index [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment, and at 4-month follow-up ]
- Depression Self-Rating Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment, and 4-month follow-up ]
- UCLA Grief Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment, post-treatment ]
- Cognitive Distortions Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment and post-treatment ]
- War Exposure Index [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Post-War Adversities Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Trauma Reminder Screening Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Loss Reminder Screening Scale [ Time Frame: Pre-treatment (screening survey) ]
- Youth Outcome Questionnaire (Somatic and Interpersonal Problems Subscales) [ Time Frame: Pre- and post-treatment ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00480480
|Principal Investigator:||Christopher M Layne, Ph.D.||Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, USA|