Enfuvirtide/Current Protease Inhibitor Switch to PREZISTA (Darunavir)/Ritonavir + TMC125 in HIV Patients With Enfuvirtide Side Effects.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00460746|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 16, 2007
Results First Posted : November 10, 2009
Last Update Posted : July 31, 2013
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|HIV||Drug: TMC125, Darunavir; Ritonavir||Phase 3|
This is a multi-center, open-label (doctors and patients know which drug is being given), Phase IIIb clinical trial to evaluate the effectiveness, safety and tolerability of the combination of PREZISTA (darunavir)/ritonavir and TMC125 when substituted for enfuvirtide, current protease inhibitor(s) and Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NNRTI(s)) in antiretroviral resistant patients with viral suppression but who are intolerant of enfuvirtide. This study will be conducted in the U.S. at up to 5 sites where 40 patients will receive PREZISTA (darunavir) /ritonavir twice daily (600/100mg) and TMC125 (200 mg) twice daily over a 48-week treatment period.
The study will consist of a total of 11 patient visits. At the screening visit (Week -1 to -6) blood will be collected from patients to determine eligibility. Once all data are available to determine the eligibility of the patient, the baseline visit will be scheduled and trial treatment initiated at this visit. The Baseline Visit (Day 1) will be followed by a 48-week treatment period. The patient will be evaluated at Weeks 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 36, and 48. Patients will be asked to return for a 2-week follow up visit at Week 50.
Treatment will include PREZISTA (darunavir) /ritonavir and TMC125 plus continued nucleosides. The patient must continue all existing nucleosides in their background regimen for the duration of the study.
During the treatment period, the patient will be seen at regular visits during which the investigator will assess the patient's medical condition, any Adverse Events and study drug compliance. Laboratory evaluations for efficacy and safety will be done at regular visits. Study patients will receive oral (by mouth) PREZISTA (darunavir) 600 mg and 100 mg of ritonavir twice a day in combination with TMC125 200mg orally twice a day for 48 weeks.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||10 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Open Label Phase 3b, 48 wk Pilot Study of the Antiviral Efficacy and Tolerability of Combination of PREZISTA/r and TMC125 When Substituted for Enfuvirtide, Current Protease Inhibitor(s) and NNRTI(s) in Antiretroviral Resistant Patients With Viral Suppression But Who Are Intolerant of Enfuvirtide.|
|Study Start Date :||May 2007|
|Primary Completion Date :||October 2008|
|Study Completion Date :||October 2008|
TMC125, Darunavir; RitonavirTMC125-200mg two times a day for 48 weeks; Darunavir -200mg two times a day for 48 weeks; Ritonavir-100mg two times a day for 48 weeks;
Drug: TMC125, Darunavir; Ritonavir
TMC125-200mg two times a day for 48 weeks; Darunavir -200mg two times a day for 48 weeks; Ritonavir-100mg two times a day for 48 weeks;
- Proportion of Patients Who Maintain Plasma HIV Viral Load Measurements < 400 Copies/ml at 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 36 and 48 Weeks After Switching to DRV/r and ETR, Missing Equals Failure. [ Time Frame: 48 weeks ]
- Proportion of Patients Who Have Viral Load Measurements <50 Copies/ml at 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 36 and 48 Weeks After Switching to DRV/r and ETR, Missing Equals Failure. [ Time Frame: 48 weeks ]
- CD4+ Cell Count (x 10^6 Cell/L): Baseline and Median Changes From Baseline at 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 36 and 48 Weeks. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- CD4+ Cell Count (x 10^6 Cell/L): Baseline and Mean Changes From Baseline at 4, 8, 12, 16, 24,36 and 48 Weeks. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in Triglycerides at Week 48. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in Total Cholesterol at Week 48. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in LDL Cholesterol at Week 48. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in HDL Cholesterol. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in Total Cholesterol (TC) / High Denisty Lipoprotein (HDL) Ratio at Week 48. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Median Change From Baseline in Glucose at Week 48. [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00460746
|United States, California|
|Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Study Director:||Tibotec, Inc. Clinical Trial||Tibotec, Inc|