Effect of Calcium/Vitamin D Supplementation on Body Weight and Fat Loss.
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00353054|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : July 17, 2006
Last Update Posted : July 17, 2006
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity Overweight||Drug: Caltrate® 600 + D Behavioral: Weight loss intervention||Phase 4|
The effect of a calcium supplementation on body weight loss is inconclusive and some studies have suggested that adequate calcium intake can have a favourable effect on some metabolic variables. The objectives of this study were to evaluate the impact of (Caltrate 600 + D ®) on body composition and various indicators of metabolic health in overweight and obese females characterised by a usual low daily calcium intake, on a weight-reducing program.
The main hypotheses of this study were:
- Caltrate 600 +D® increases body weight and fat mass losses of individuals on a weight-reducing program.
- Caltrate 600 +D® improves the metabolic profile of these subjects, independently of variations promoted by body fat loss.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Official Title:||A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Effect of Calcium/Vitamin D Supplementation (Caltrate 600+ D) on Body Weight and Fat Loss in Overweight and Obese Individuals on a Weight-Reducing Program.|
|Study Start Date :||January 2003|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2005|
- Body weight and fat mass loss at the end of the 15-week weight loss supplemented intervention.
- Change in metabolic variables at the end of the 15-week calcium/vitamin D supplemented weight loss intervention
- Change in energy/macronutrient intake at the end of the 15-week calcium/vitamin D supplemented weight loss intervention
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00353054
|Quebec, Canada, G1K 7P4|
|Principal Investigator:||Angelo Tremblay, PhD||Laval University|