Ixabepilone With or Without Estramustine in Treating Patients With Progressive Prostate Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00025194|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 24, 2013
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as ixabepilone and estramustine, use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. It is not yet known whether BMS-247550 is more effective with or without estramustine in treating prostate cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase I/II trial is studying the best dose of ixabepilone when given together with estramustine and to see how well giving ixabepilone together with estramustine works compared to ixabepilone alone in treating patients with progressive prostate cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer||Drug: estramustine phosphate sodium Drug: ixabepilone||Phase 1 Phase 2|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose of ixabepilone combined with estramustine in patients with progressive androgen-independent adenocarcinoma of the prostate. (Phase I)
- Compare the safety and efficacy of ixabepilone with or without estramustine in this patient population. (Phase II)
- Correlate the clinical outcomes with reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction-based assay for prostate-specific antigen mRNA in patients treated with these regimens.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study of ixabepilone (phase I) followed by a randomized, multicenter study (phase II).
- Phase I: Patients receive ixabepilone IV over 3 hours on day 2 and oral estramustine 3 times daily on days 1-5. Courses repeat every 3 weeks in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of ixabepilone until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which at least 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
Phase II: Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive ixabepilone IV over 3 hours at the MTD on day 2 and estramustine as in phase I.
- Arm II: Patients receive ixabepilone IV over 3 hours at the MTD on day 1. Treatment in both arms repeats as in phase I.
Patients are followed every 12 weeks until disease progression.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 3-12 patients will be accrued for phase I of this study and a total of 44-92 patients (22-46 per treatment arm) will be accrued for phase II of this study within 12-18 months.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I And Randomized Phase 2 Trial Of Epothilone B Analogue BMS 247550 (NSC # 710428) Administered Every 21 Days With Or Without Oral Estramustine Phosphate In Patients With Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||July 2001|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2006|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00025194
|United States, California|
|UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|San Francisco, California, United States, 94115|
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center at Dana Farber Cancer Institute|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|United States, Michigan|
|University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States, 48109-0942|
|United States, New York|
|Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10021|
|Study Chair:||Michael Morris, MD||Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center|