Patients must have:
- Documentation of a positive ELISA test for HIV confirmed by immunoblot, or a positive HIV RNA test using the Roche PCR assay, or the Chiron bDNA assay.
- HIV RNA measurement of > 5,000 copies/ml within 3 weeks of baseline visit.
- Signed, informed consent from parent or legal guardian for patients less than 18 years of age.
- Access to a refrigerator for storing study drug.
Anti-HIV therapy other than protease inhibitor therapy.
Patients with the following conditions or symptoms are excluded:
- Evidence of acute infection, as measured by vital signs, physical examination, 12-lead electrocardiogram and laboratory assessments.
- Condition that may obscure the proper observation of the safety or activity of the treatment regimens.
- Midazolam, alprazolam, clorazepate, diazepam, estazolam, flurazepam, triazolam, zolpidem, quinidine, amiodarone, encainide, flecainide, propafenone, bepridil, terfenadine, astemizole, cisapride, bupropion, clozapine, rifabutin, meperidine, propoxyphene, piroxicam, pimozide, ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, and rifampin.
- Anti-retroviral therapy initiated prior to study entry.
- Any other medication, including over-the-counter medicine and alcohol, taken without the permission of the primary investigator.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
- History of significant drug hypersensitivity.
- History of psychiatric illness that would preclude compliance with the protocol.
- Prior enrollment in this study.