The Role of Ghrelin in Cancer Cachexia
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01505764|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (poor recruitment)
First Posted : January 9, 2012
Results First Posted : February 24, 2017
Last Update Posted : February 24, 2017
Cancer is often coupled with a condition called cachexia. In this condition, individuals continue to lose weight and lean body mass, which means their muscles are getting smaller and weaker. Studies have shown that cancer patients who are losing weight often are responding poorly to chemotherapy, are at greater risk of infection and have a reduced life expectancy. Also, people may not want to eat. To date, there are no approved treatments available for this condition.
This study is going to study the benefits of the use of the study drug, Anamorelin hydrochloride (HCl) in treatment or prevention of cachexia associated with cancer. Studies done before with the study drug have shown that the drug can help the cachectic condition. The purpose of this research study is to evaluate the effectiveness of Anamorelin HCl compared to placebo on body composition (amount of cell mass, fat, muscle, etc.) including measurements of body potassium and nitrogen stores.
In addition to the above, the study will also assess the effect of the study drug on handgrip strength, body weight, lean muscle mass, quality of life, appetite & food intake, certain blood markers, energy expenditure (the amount of energy participants burn), functional performance, safety and tolerability of Anamorelin HCl.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cancer Cachexia||Drug: Anamorelin HCl Drug: Placebo||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||10 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||The Role of Ghrelin in Cancer Cachexia|
|Study Start Date :||June 2012|
|Primary Completion Date :||January 2016|
|Study Completion Date :||March 2016|
Experimental: Arm 1
Drug: Anamorelin HCl
100 mg tablets; oral administration every day for 84 days, at least 1 hour before the first meal of the day.
Placebo Comparator: Arm 2
Placebo tablets identical in appearance to active tablets; oral administration once a day for 84 days, at least 1 hour before the first meal of the day.
- Total Body Potassium. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Body Composition as Measured by Densitometry. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Muscle Strength as Measured by Grip Strength. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Body Weight. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Quality of Life. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Quality of life as assessed using the Assessment SpondyloArthritis (ASAS), EuroQol five dimensions questionnaire (EQ-5D) and FACIT-F, Patient Reported Outcome assessments
- Appetite. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Appetite measured by a visual analogue scale and a food diary.
- Resting Energy Expenditure. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Functional Performance. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Functional performance using stair-climbing power, 6-minute walk, tests of the major muscle groups and 24 hour physical activity levels
- Body Composition. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Body composition as measured by Total body nitrogen and bioimpedance.
- Safety and Tolerability. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]The safety and tolerability of Anamorelin HCl assessed through the number of participants with Adverse Events.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01505764
|United States, Texas|
|Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77030|
|Principal Investigator:||Jose M. Garcia, MD PhD||VA Puget Sound Health Care System Seattle Division, Seattle, WA|