Monitoring and Evaluation of Micronutrients (Sprinkles) Project (Sprinkles)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00659061|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 16, 2008
Results First Posted : May 27, 2009
Last Update Posted : February 1, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Anemia||Dietary Supplement: SPRINKLES Behavioral: Nutrition education|
According to the recent National Nutrition Survey in Pakistan (2001-2002), approximately 66.5% of children under five have anaemia.
Looking at the magnitude of the problem, National Program for Family Planning (FP) and Primary Health Care (PHC) (also known as the Lady Health Workers (LHW) Program) has developed National Sprinkles Pilot Project Proposal with technical assistance of Micronutrient Initiative and Aga Khan University (AKU). As the projects technical partner, AKU is responsible to conduct the monitoring and evaluation of the project.
The study will use a cluster randomized pre-post intervention design that compares before and after hemoglobin (Hb) measurements, serum ferritin, serum retinol and urinary iodine among children who received Sprinkles and age-appropriate feeding advice (Sprinkles-Advice group) and children who only receive age-appropriate feeding advice (Advice-only group). Age-appropriate feeding advice is part of the standard nutrition messages given by all Lady Health Workers (LHWs) during their community visits. However, intervention LHWs, will give additional advice regarding the benefits of Sprinkles and its appropriate use.
The target population selected for the study consisted of children between the ages of six and eighteen months of age in the catchment area of the Lady Health Workers.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||610 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Monitoring and Evaluation of Micronutrients (Sprinkles) Project|
|Study Start Date :||August 2007|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2008|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2008|
Active Comparator: Intervention
Multiple micronutrient fortificant (Sprinkles) and nutrition education given by LHWs.
Dietary Supplement: SPRINKLES
Sprinkles is a multiple micronutrient fortificant. It is packed as a single serving sachets each containing micro encapsulated iron (12.5 mg), zinc (7.5 mg), vitamin C (30 mg), vitamin A (300 µg), vitamin D (5 µg), folic acid (150 µg) and iodine (90µg).
Two month supply of the Sprinkle sachet along with advice on its benefits as well as its appropriate use will be given by the LHWs. The LHWs will also provide their age-appropriate nutritional advice as per their regular door to door community services.
Other Name: Multiple micronutrient fortificantBehavioral: Nutrition education
Nutrition education will be provided by LHWs as per their regular routine monthly door to door community services
No Intervention: Control
Routine public health massages by Lady Health Workers (LHWs) during their community visits.
- Number of Participants With Anemia [ Time Frame: Baseline hemoglobin (Hb) taken at time of enrollment; Endline Hb taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]number with mild to severe anemia (hemoglobin(Hb)<11g/dL)
- Number of Participants With Moderate to Severe Anemia [ Time Frame: Baseline Hb taken at time of enrollment; Endline Hb taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]number of participants with moderate - severe anemia defined as Hb < 10g/dL
- Mean Hemoglobin of Participants Post Intervention [ Time Frame: Endline Hb taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]
- Vitamin A Status of Participants - Post Intervention [ Time Frame: Measurement taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]Categorized as <20ug/dL; 20-40 ug/dL; >40 ug/dl
- Mean Vitamin A Serum Retinol (ug]dl) Taken Post Intervention [ Time Frame: Measurement taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]
- Percentage of Underweight Participants [ Time Frame: Baseline measurements taken at time of enrollment; Endline measurements taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]Underweight defined as Weight for Age Z score < -2 standard deviation (SD)
- Percentage of Participants With Stunted Growth [ Time Frame: Baseline measurements taken at time of enrollment; Endline measurments taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]Stunted defined as Height for Age Z-score < -2 standard deviation
- Percentage of Participants With Wasted Growth [ Time Frame: Baseline measurements taken at time of enrollment; Endline measurements taken 4-5 months post enrollment ]Wasted defined as Weight for Height Z-score < -2SD
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00659061
|AKU-Peds Naushero Feroze Site Office|
|Naushero Feroze, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Study Chair:||Zulfiqar A Bhutta, MD, PhD||Aga Khan University|