Prospective, Multicentre, Open-label Study Evaluating 1.5 mg/Day of Fondaparinux. (PROPICE)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00555438|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 8, 2007
Results First Posted : November 17, 2010
Last Update Posted : August 17, 2011
Fondaparinux is an antithrombotic agent having already received a regulatory approval by the European Authorities in venous thromboembolic event prevention after major orthopaedic surgery, as total hip replacement (THR), total knee replacement (TKR), hip fracture (HF). The bleeding risk associated with this prescription is highly related to renal function evaluated by creatinin clearance (CrCl). In order to reduce the bleeding risk, it has been proposed to prescribe fondaparinux 1.5 mg/day in patients with a CrCl between 20 and 50ml/mn instead of 2.5mg/day (European MMA). In the meantime, this approval is essentially based on simulated pharmakinetic data without any support of clinical data.
prospective, multicentre, open-label study evaluating the safety profile of fondaparinux 1.5 mg/day, subcutaneously administered, in patients with a renal impairment defined by a CrCl between 20 and 30 ml/min and undergoing a major orthopaedic surgery.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Major Orthopaedic Surgery and Renal Impairment||Drug: fondaparinux 1.5 mg/day||Phase 4|
Fondaparinux 1.5mg/day subcutaneously administered during post-surgery 1 to 10 days with the 1st treatment administration performed 6 to 8 hours after the end of surgery.
Screening visit : > 7 days before inclusion visit if THR and TKR Inclusion visit : day of surgery Visits with blood drawing: 3 visits scheduled during 1 to 10 days of treatment period Study end of treatment visit: D1 to D10 Study end visit: 1 month ± 15 days
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||451 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Prospective, Multicentre, Open-label Study Evaluating 1.5 mg/Day of Fondaparinux,in Venous Thromboembolic Events Prevention in Patients With Renal Impairment and Undergoing a Major Orthopaedic Surgery. PROPICE Study|
|Study Start Date :||June 2007|
|Primary Completion Date :||October 2008|
|Study Completion Date :||October 2008|
patients with renal impairment who received Fondaparinux 1.5 mg/l after major orthopaedic surgery
Drug: fondaparinux 1.5 mg/day
Subcutaneous injection of fondaparinux 1.5 mg/l after major orthopaedic surgery
- Number of Patients With Major Bleedings Between Day 1 and Day 10. [ Time Frame: 10 day ]evaluate between Day 1 and Day 10, the number of patients under study treatment who has affected by major bleedings defined as fatal, involved a critical organ, treatment cessation, occurred at the surgical site and necessitated any medical intervention, or if it was overt and necessitated transfusion of >2 units of packed red blood cells or was associated with a fall in hemoglobin >20 g/L.
- Number of Patients With Major Bleedings at 1 Month ± 5 Days. [ Time Frame: 45 day ]evaluate the number of patients affected by major bleedings defined as fatal, involved a critical organ, treatment cessation, occurred at the surgical site and necessitated any medical intervention, or if it was overt and necessitated transfusion of >2 units of packed red blood cells or was associated with a fall in hemoglobin >20 g/L at 1 month ± 5 days.
- Number of Patients With Symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pumonary Embolism Between Day 1 and Day 10 [ Time Frame: 10 days ]Evaluate the number of patients affected by symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis (any symptomatic distal and/or proximal deep-vein thrombosis) and Pumonary Embolism (symptomatic pulmonary embolism confirmed by objective tests) between Day 1 and Day 10.
- Number of Patients With Symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pumonary Embolism at 1 Month ± 5 Days [ Time Frame: at 1 month ± 5 ]Evaluate the number of patients affected by symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis (any symptomatic distal and/or proximal deep-vein thrombosis) and Pumonary Embolism (symptomatic pulmonary embolism confirmed by objective tests) at 1 month ± 5 days.
- Death at 1 Month ± 5 Days [ Time Frame: 1 month ± 5 days ]Evaluate the total number of death at 1 month ± 5 days
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00555438
|Agen, France, 47000|
|Annonay, France, 07100|
|Bayonne, France, 64109|
|Bobigny, France, 93009|
|Bordeaux, France, 33000|
|Caen, France, 14000|
|Clamart, France, 92140|
|Clermont-ferrand, France, 63000|
|Dijon, France, 21079|
|La Roche Sur Yon, France, 85016|
|Le Mans, France, 72000|
|Lyon, France, 69006|
|Lyon, France, 69437|
|Montpellier, France, 34295|
|Nantes, France, 44200|
|Nice, France, 06200|
|Nimes, France, 30029|
|Niort, France, 79006|
|Paris, France, 75013|
|Paris, France, 75014|
|Paris, France, 75679|
|Poitiers, France, 86035|
|Reims, France, 51092|
|Rouen, France, 76031|
|SAINt-ETIENNE, France, 42 055|
|Saint-etienne, France, 42013|
|Saint-saulve, France, 59880|
|Toulouse, France, 31059|
|Tours, France, 37044|
|Principal Investigator:||MISMETTI Patrick, MD||CHU SAINT-ETIENNE|