GTI-2040, Docetaxel, and Prednisone in Treating Patients With Prostate Cancer
RATIONALE: GTI-2040 may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking the enzymes necessary for their growth. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as docetaxel, work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. GTI-2040 may help docetaxel kill more tumor cells by making them more sensitive to the drug.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well giving GTI-2040 together with docetaxel and prednisone works in treating patients with prostate cancer that has not responded to hormone therapy.
|Study Design:||Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of GTI-2040 in Combination With Docetaxel and Prednisone in Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer|
- PSA response rate [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Median survival [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- 1-year survival [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Response rate and duration [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||January 2005|
- Determine the efficacy of GTI-2040, docetaxel, and prednisone, in terms of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) response rate, in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.
- Determine objective tumor response in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the median time to progression in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the safety and tolerability of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the median duration of PSA response in patients treated with this regimen.
- Correlate baseline and post-treatment levels of ribonucleotide reductase activity in tumor biopsies and peripheral blood mononuclear cells and tumoral expression of c-myc, R2 subunit protein, and markers of cellular proliferation and apoptosis with clinical outcomes in patients treated with this regimen.
OUTLINE: This is an open-label, multicenter study.
Patients receive GTI-2040 IV continuously on days 1-14, docetaxel IV on day 3 of course 1 and on day 1 of subsequent courses, and oral prednisone twice daily on days 1-21. Treatment repeats every 21 days for up to 10 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients are followed for survival.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 18-46 patients will be accrued for this study within 3.6-9.5 months.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00087165
|Canada, British Columbia|
|British Columbia Cancer Agency - Vancouver Cancer Centre|
|Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V5Z 4E6|
|Margaret and Charles Juravinski Cancer Centre|
|Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8V 5C2|
|London Regional Cancer Program at London Health Sciences Centre|
|London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 4L6|
|Ottawa Hospital Regional Cancer Centre - General Campus|
|Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1H 8L6|
|Princess Margaret Hospital|
|Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 2M9|
|Principal Investigator:||Malcolm J. Moore, MD||Princess Margaret Hospital, Canada|