Medical Implications of Coinfection With Malaria and Filariasis Parasites
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00471666|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 10, 2007
Last Update Posted : July 2, 2017
This study will examine the clinical, immunological and epidemiological effects of concurrent infections with P. falciparum and W. bancrofti or M. perstans (the parasites that cause malaria and filariasis) on the frequency and severity of malaria infection in children and young adults in Mali, Africa.
Residents of Tien gu bougou and Bougoudiana, Mali, who are between 1 and 20 years of age may be eligible for this study. Participants with and without filarial infection will be enrolled.
Participants undergo the following tests and procedures:
- Baseline evaluation with medical history and physical examination, blood tests and stool culture
- Brief physical examinations weekly
- Blood tests monthly for malaria
- Standard treatment offered for anyone with malaria
- Blood tests for filarial infection at the beginning, midpoint and end of the transmission season
- Treatment for lymphatic filariasis is available through the National Program for the Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis. There is no effective standard therapy for M. perstans.
- Treatment for other parasitic worm infections, if needed.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||1039 participants|
|Official Title:||Coinfection With Plasmodium Falciparum and Wuchereria Bancrofti: Clinical, Epidemiologic and Immunologic Implications|
|Study Start Date :||May 7, 2007|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 31, 2012|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00471666
|Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy and Odonto-Stomatology (FMPOS)|