RegoNivo vs Standard of Care Chemotherapy in AGOC (INTEGRATEIIb)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04879368|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : May 10, 2021
Last Update Posted : August 30, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Gastro-Oesophageal Cancer||Drug: Regorafenib Biological: Nivolumab Drug: Docetaxel Drug: Paclitaxel Drug: Irinotecan Drug: Trifluridine/Tipracil||Phase 3|
The purpose of this international study is to determine if the combination of regorafenib and nivolumab is more effective than standard chemotherapy in prolonging overall survival in a broad group of participants with AGOC, who have progressed after treatment with standard anti-cancer therapy.
In the INTEGRATE study, regorafenib alone was shown to be effective in prolonging the progression-free period in people with AGOC following standard anti-cancer therapy (i.e. it delayed tumour growth), and demonstrated a potential benefit on long term survival. Recent research has shown the early results from this combination of regorafenib & nivolumab may improve outcomes for cancer patients. INTEGRATE IIb will investigate this effect further in a larger group of participants with AGOC.
The study aims to determine:
i. Whether the combination of regorafenib/nivolumab is likely to help patients with AGOC live longer; ii. The effects of this treatment on progression-free survival; iii. The numbers of participants responding to the treatment iv. The effects of this treatment on quality of life v. The side effects and tolerability of this treatment vi. Molecular differences (e.g. variations in genes or proteins) that may account for the effects of this treatment vii. Differences in the costs of care for people on this treatment.
The Investigators plan to enrol 450 participants in the study from, but not limited to; Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Canada, USA, Germany, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Netherlands and Italy.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||450 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||Parallel assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Randomised Phase III Open Label Study of Regorafenib + Nivolumab vs Standard Chemotherapy in Refractory Advanced Gastro-Oesophageal Cancer (AGOC)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 1, 2021|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||June 1, 2025|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 1, 2026|
Participants in the RegoNivo arm will;
After 2 months, patients whose disease is controlled may have nivolumab administered 480 mg every 28 days.
Oral multi-targeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) which targets angiogenic (VEGF, TIE-2), stromal (PDGF-β), and oncogenic (RAF, RET and KIT) receptor tyrosine kinases
Other Name: Stivarga
human IgG4 monoclonal antibody inhibitor of PD-1
Other Name: Opdivo
Active Comparator: Standard of Care
Participants in the control arm will receive investigator choice chemotherapy with any of the following agents
All treatment groups will receive Best Supportive Care (BSC).
Docetaxel is taxane-derivative chemotherapy drug, used in the treatment of early, locally advanced and metastatic breast cancer. It is an anti-microtubule agent. Other uses are in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer, advanced stomach cancer, head and neck cancers, soft tissue sarcoma, ovarian cancer, metastatic prostate cancer, etc.
microtubules, and simultaneously promotes assembly and inhibits disassembly of them
Other Name: Taxotere
Paclitaxel is one of several cytoskeletal drugs that target tubulin. Paclitaxel-treated cells have defects in mitotic spindle assembly, chromosome segregation, and cell division. Unlike other tubulin-targeting drugs, such as colchicine, that inhibit microtubule assembly, paclitaxel stabilizes the microtubule polymer and protects it from disassembly. Chromosomes are thus unable to achieve a metaphase spindle configuration. This blocks the progression of mitosis and prolonged activation of the mitotic checkpoint triggers apoptosis or reversion to the G0-phase of the cell cycle without cell division
Other Name: Abraxane
Camptothecin, one of the four major structural classifications of plant-derived anti-cancerous compounds, is a cytotoxic alkaloid which consists of a pentacyclic ring structure containing a pyrrole (3, 4 β) quinoline moiety, an S-configured lactone form, and a carboxylate form. Irinotecan is activated by hydrolysis to SN-38, an inhibitor of topoisomerase I. This is then inactivated by glucuronidation by uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A1 (UGT1A1). The inhibition of topoisomerase I by the active metabolite SN-38 eventually leads to inhibition of both DNA replication and transcription.
Other Name: Camptosar
The drug consists of the cytotoxin trifluridine and the thymidine phosphorylase inhibitor (TPI) tipiracil. Trifluridine is incorporated into DNA during DNA synthesis and inhibits tumor cell growth. Trifluridine (TFT) is incorporated into DNA by phosphorylation by thymidylate kinase (TK) to TF-TMP; TF-TMP then covalently binds to tyrosine 146 of the active site of thymidylate synthase (TS) inhibiting the enzyme's activity. TS is vital to the synthesis of DNA because it is an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the deoxynucleotide, thymidine triphosphate (dTTP). Inhibition of TS depletes the cell of dTTP and causes accumulation of deoxyuridine monophosphate (dUMP), which increases the likelihood that uracil gets misincorporated into the DNA.
Other Name: Lonsurf
- O/S [ Time Frame: 5 years ]To determine the effect of RegoNivo on overall survival (OS) (death from any cause) in the overall study population and in the Asian sub-population.
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; PFS [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Progression free survival (PFS)(disease progression or death) in the study population
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; OTRR [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Objective tumour response rate (OTRR)((partial or complete response (PR or CR)) according to Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumours (RECIST) version. 1.1, and iRECIST on study population
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study EORTC QLQ-C30: Q1 - Q28, Min 1 Max 4, Higher Score = Worse
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study EORTC QLQ-C30: Q29 & Q30 Min 1 Max 7, Higher = Better
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire -Stomach Cancer [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study EORTC QLQ STO22 Min 1 Max 4, Higher Score = Worse
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - Patient D.A.T.A form (self assessment of pain on health aspect) [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study Patient D.A.T.A Form: Q1 - Q17 Min 0 Max 10, Higher Score = Worse
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - Patient D.A.T.A form (self rating on health aspects) [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study Patient D.A.T.A Form: Q18 - Q24 Min 0 Max 10, Higher Score = Better
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - Patient D.A.T.A form (health aspect impact self assessment) [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study Patient D.A.T.A Form: Q25 - Q47 Min 0 Max 10, Higher Score = Worse
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; QoL - Health Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Quality of life (QoL)(scores from participant-completed questionnaires) of participants on study EQ-5D-5L Health questionnaire Min 0 Max 100, Higher Score = Better
- Determine the effect of RegoNivo on; Safety [ Time Frame: 5 years ]Safety (rates of adverse events) of participants on study
- Prognostic biomarker identification for AGOC [ Time Frame: Up to 24 months following close of study. ]To identify prognostic and predictive biomarkers (tissue and circulating) for study endpoints (relating to survival, response and safety).
- Regorafenib max plasma concentration level assessment (Cmax) across geographical regions [ Time Frame: Up to 24 months following close of study. ]To evaluate regorafenib Cmax in patient populations from different geographical regions (regorafenib levels).
- Regorafenib levels and correlation to treatment [ Time Frame: Up to 24 months following close of study. ]To evaluate regorafenib levels and their correlation to outcomes in treatment
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04879368
|Contact: Clinical Project Manager||02 9562 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Study Chair:||Nick Pavlakis, Prof||AGITG|