NBP in Women With Metastatic Breast Cancer to Prevent Nab-paclitaxel Induced Toxic Neuropathy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04675450|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : December 19, 2020
Last Update Posted : October 14, 2022
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Breast Cancer Peripheral Neuropathy||Drug: Placebo Drug: NBP Softgel Capsules||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||60 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multiple Dose Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of n-Butylphthalide (NBP) Softgel Capsules Administered to Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer to Prevent Nab-paclitaxel Induced Toxic Neuropathy|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||June 30, 2023|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 30, 2024|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 30, 2025|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Interventions: Placebo (NBP placebo softgel capsules, 0 mg NBP, BID)
Take 4 capsules BID on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before food intake, and remain fasting at least 1 hour after dosing
Other Name: NBP Placebo Softgel Capsules
Active Comparator: NBP
Interventions: 800 mg NBP softgel capsules daily (400 mg BID)
Drug: NBP Softgel Capsules
Take 4 capsules BID on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before food intake, and remain fasting at least 1 hour after dosing.
Other Name: NBP
- Mean Change from Baseline in EORTC Quality of Life Questionnaire Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy (EORTC QLQ-CIPN20) Sensory Subscale [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 5, 8, 11 and 15 ]Change from baseline in the mean EORTC QLQ-CIPN20 sensory subscale (converted to a 0-100 scale) collected during the treatment period at weeks 5, 8, 11 and 15.
- Number of Participants Requiring Rescue Medication [ Time Frame: 15 weeks ]The number and percentage of participants requiring oxycodone of any amount anytime during the 15 week treatment period.
- Days Free of Rescue Medication [ Time Frame: 15 weeks ]The mean cumulative number of days free of oxycodone of any amount anytime for each participant during the 15 week treatment period.
- Mean Change from Baseline in the Brief Pain Inventory Short Form (mBPI-SF) score. [ Time Frame: 15 weeks ]The mean change from baseline (mean days 2-7 after first dose of NBP or Placebo) in the mBPI-SF total score to mean of all post-nab-paclitaxel mBPI-SF scores collected on days 2-7 after each of 4 nab-paclitaxel administration at days 7, 28, 49 and 70 during the 15 week treatment period.
- Number of Participants with Treatment-Emergent Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 19 weeks ]The number and percentage of participants with treatment-emergent adverse events according to MedDRA system organ class and preferred term with onset during the 15 week treatment period or 4 week follow-up.
- Area Under the Curve (AUC) for NBP [ Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]The AUC (h*ng/mL) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
- Cmax for NBP [ Time Frame: Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]Cmax (ng/mL) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
- Tmax for NBP [ Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]Tmax (hr) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
- Area Under the Curve for Paclitaxel [ Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]AUC (h*ng/mL) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
- Cmax for Paclitaxel [ Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]Cmax (ng/mL) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
- Tmax for Paclitaxel [ Time Frame: Time Frame: 0, 1.5, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 24 hours - Days 6 and 7 ]Tmax (hr) be calculated using Phoenix WinNonlin software
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 75 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
Subjects are eligible to participate in the study only if all the following criteria apply:
- Women aged ≥18 and ≤75 years.
- Pathologically confirmed metastatic breast cancer.
- Are candidates for initial therapy with nab-paclitaxel, at a dose of >260 mg/m2 every 3 weeks for 4 planned cycles.
- Concomitant antitumor drugs used to treat the underlying malignancy, including immunotherapies, other than nab-paclitaxel will be allowed.
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status scores of 0 - 2.
- Life expectancy ≥6 months.
- Women of childbearing potential (WOCBP) must have a negative serum human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) pregnancy test at Screening and be practicing a medically acceptable method of contraception with an annual failure rate of less than 1% until the completion of the trial or 30 days after discontinuation of study treatment. Women are considered not childbearing if they are >1 year postmenopausal or surgically sterile (ie, hysterectomy, bilateral oophorectomy, or bilateral salpingectomy tubal ligation).
- Able to complete study questionnaires by themselves or with assistance.
- Capable of understanding the purpose and risks of the study and able to provide informed consent by signing the informed consent form.
- Able to swallow softgel capsules as determined by the investigator.
- Able to comply with all study requirements. Exclusion Criteria
Subjects are excluded from the study if any of the following criteria apply:
- Non-metastatic breast cancer.
- Subjects who are pregnant, lactating/breast-feeding, or plan to become pregnant within the next 3 months.
- History of poorly controlled diabetes mellitus (hemoglobin A1C >8.0 at the time of the Screening visit).
- History of fibromyalgia.
- History of any signs or symptoms suggestive of neuropathy within 30 days of Screening as determined by the investigator based on the neurological examination.
- History of taking any neurotoxic drugs within 6 months of Screening.
- Current use of drugs that are used to treat neuropathic pain (eg, gabapentin, pregabalin, and duloxetine) within 30 days of Screening.
- Current diagnosis of malignancy other than breast cancer.
- Absolute neutrophil count <1.5 x 109 cells/L.
- Platelet count <100,000 x 109/L.
- Hemoglobin level <9 g/dL at Screening without transfusion (transfusion independent).
- Corrected QTcF >470 msec (single tracing) at Screening and prior to randomization.
- Chronic renal or hepatic disease.
- Clinically significant renal dysfunction including serum creatinine level >1.5 mg/dL or calculated creatinine clearance ≥50 mL/minute at Screening.
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or aspartate aminotransferase (AST) level >2.0 x upper limits of normal (ULN), or a bilirubin >1.5 x ULN unless in the setting of known Gilbert's disease at Screening.
- History of HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, or tuberculosis.
- Major surgical procedures ≤30 days prior to starting study drug, or minor surgical procedures ≤7 days prior to starting study drug.
- History of alcohol or drug dependence or is known to have abused alcohol within 30 days prior to screening.
- Unwilling to abstain from alcohol and recreational drugs (with exception for medical marijuana) throughout the duration of participation in the study.
- Positive urine drug screen at Screening (with exception for medical marijuana which is allowed).
- Known hypersensitivity to celery or soybeans.
- Known serious hypersensitivity to paclitaxel
- Received treatment with any other investigational drug within 30 days before screening, was previously treated with NBP, is currently taking celery seed extract, or is currently participating in another clinical study
- Any other reasons that in the opinion of the investigator make the subject unsuitable for enrollment.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04675450
|Contact: Audrey Lifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Study Director:||Qingxi Wang, PhD||Conjupro Biotherapeutics, Inc.|
|Responsible Party:||Conjupro Biotherapeutics, Inc.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||December 19, 2020 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||October 14, 2022|
|Last Verified:||October 2022|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
|Product Manufactured in and Exported from the U.S.:||No|
Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
Neoplasms by Site
Nervous System Diseases