Effect of 12 Weeks Treatment With Tadalafil vs Placebo on Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02252367|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : September 30, 2014
Last Update Posted : October 27, 2017
At present time several preclinical and clinical study have demonstrated the safety and efficacy of PDE5 (phosphodiesterase type 5)-inhibitors for LUTS/BPH (lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasia) patients with or without erectile dysfunction. However, the link between clinical outcomes (symptoms scores), functional activity (urodynamic findings) and molecular pathways, in particular regarding inflammatory pattern (molecular analyses), has not been previously investigated.
Aim of present study is to assess, for the first time in literature, changes in pressure flow study (PFS) and changes in molecular profile of prostatic tissue (inflammatory and tissue remodeling markers) in men treated for 12 weeks with tadalafil 5 mg compared with placebo and to correlate these data with changes in symptoms scores (IPSS, International Prostatic Symptoms Score) in men with LUTS secondary to BPH refractory to alpha blockers.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostatic Hyperplasia Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms||Drug: Tadalafil Other: Placebo||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||86 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study on Men With Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms to Assess Changes in Pressure Flow Study and in Molecular Profile of Prostatic Tissue After 12 Weeks Treatment With Tadalafil.|
|Actual Study Start Date :||December 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||March 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2019|
43 male subjects affected by BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) planned for simple prostatectomy will be randomized to tadalafil 5 mg - 1 film-coated tablet orally once daily for 12 weeks.
Tadalafil 5 mg once daily for 12 weeks.
Other Name: Cialis
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
43 male subjects affected by BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) planned for simple prostatectomy will be randomized to placebo.
Placebo tablet once daily for 12 weeks.
- Improvement of LUTS/BPH symptoms [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]BPH-associated inflammatory symptoms will be assessed by using the National Institute of Health Chronic Prostatitis Symptom Index (NIH-CPSI). BPH-associated LUTS will be assessed by using International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS).
- Improvement of pressure flow study (PFS) parameters [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Maximum flow rate (Qmax), average flow rate (Qave), voided volume (Vcomp), post void residual volume (PVR) will be evaluated. An abdominal ultrasound immediately after voiding for uroflowmetry will be performed in order to determine the PVR.
- Volumetric change of the prostate [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Prostate volume as assessed by transrectal ultrasound
- Change in prostate inhomogeneity and in the number of prostatic macrocalcifications [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]BPH-associated prostate inhomogeneity and presence of micro-calcifications will be assessed by using male genital tract male genital tract colour-Doppler ultrasonography.
- Variation in genic expression of prostatic inflammation markers [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]BPH-associated prostate inflammation, fibrosis, and hypoxia will be measured by immunohistochemical and quantitative RT-PCR (qRT-PCR) analyses of inflammatory-, fibrosis- and hypoxia-related markers.
- Variation in serum inflammation markers CRP (C-reactive protein) and ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]CRP measured on serum and ESR measured on blood drawn at baseline and after 12 weeks
- Improvement in metabolic profile [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Metabolic parameters will be evaluated (glycaemia, insulinemia, total cholesterol, HDL, triglycerides, HbA1c, mean arterial pressure, waist circumference, body mass index)
- Variation in seminal plasma IL-8 (interleukin-8) levels [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Seminal IL-8, a chemokine involved in male genital tract infection/inflammation, will be evaluated.
- Improvement in erectile function [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Erectile function will be assessed by using the International Index of Erectile Function-5 (IIEF-5) score.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02252367
|Contact: Mario Maggiemail@example.com|
|Clinica Urologica - Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria Careggi||Recruiting|
|Contact: Mario Maggi firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sub-Investigator: Mauro Gacci|
|Sub-Investigator: Linda Vignozzi|
|Sub-Investigator: Marco Carini|
|Principal Investigator:||Mario Maggi||University of Florence|