Healthy Buddies Manitoba
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01979978|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 8, 2013
Last Update Posted : November 8, 2013
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Healthy Children Elementary School Age Rural and Urban First Nations||Other: Healthy Buddies Curriculum||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||647 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Healthy Buddies Manitoba: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Effectiveness Trial of Peer Mentoring for Healthy Eights in Children.|
|Study Start Date :||September 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||May 2013|
Experimental: Healthy Buddies Curriculum
Healthy buddies curriculum delivered by older peers weekly covering three components of healthy living: Physical activity, healthy eating and a healthy body image.
Other: Healthy Buddies Curriculum
Each week, intermediate students will receive a 45-minute healthy-living lesson plan from their classroom teacher. Later that week, intermediate students will serve as peer mentors ("Buddies"), teaching a 30-minute lesson to their younger students. The Physical activity (i.e."Go Move!") component of the lesson plans includes 30-minutes of structured aerobic fitness sessions, called fitness loops, with the student pairs twice weekly. The dietary ("Go Fuel!") component includes lessons about distinguishing nutritious and from unhealthy (nutrient poor-energy rich) foods and beverages. The body image ("Go Feel Good!") component, the students are taught to value classmates based on individual traits rather than peer influence.
No Intervention: Control
This group received standard school curriculum.
- Waist circumference [ Time Frame: 10 months ]Waist circumference at the top of the iliac crest measured in duplicate with a flexible tape.
- BMI-Z score [ Time Frame: 10 months ]Body mass index Z score is calculated from weight/height2 and normalized to population normative data for age (months) and sex.
- Physical activity [ Time Frame: 10 months ]Objectively measured using daily pedometer counts recorded by teachers.
- Healthy living knowledge and behaviours [ Time Frame: 10 months ]Questionnaires regarding healthy foods and food frequency.
- Self efficacy [ Time Frame: 10 months ]Questionnaire.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01979978
|Manitoba Institute of Child Health - University of Manitoba|
|Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3E 3P4|
|Principal Investigator:||Rob Santos, PhD||Healthy Child Manitoba|
|Study Director:||Jon McGavock, PhD||Manitoba Institute of Child Health|