A Prospective, Open-label Trial of Two Abacavir/Lamivudine Based Regimen (ABC/3TC + Darunavir/Ritonavir or ABC/3TC + Raltegravir) in Late Presenter naïve Patients (With CD4 Count <200 Cells/µL - Advanced HIV Disease)
1. PROTOCOL SUMMARY This is a prospective, randomized open-label, 2 arm, 3-phase trial to compare the 48-weeks virological response of two different regimens containing abacavir/lamivudine (abacavir/lamivudine +darunavir/ritonavir (DRV/r) vs abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir (RAL) in antiretroviral therapy naive, HIV+ individuals presenting for care with CD4+ counts < 200/mm3.
1.1 Clinical Objectives: Primary Objective: To compare the 48-week virological response to two different regimens containing abacavir/lamivudine (abacavir/lamivudine +darunavir/ritonavir (DRV/r) vs abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir (RAL) in antiretroviral therapy naive, HIV+ individuals presenting for care with CD4+ counts < 200/mm3.
- To compare immunological response at 48 weeks;
To determine the safety and tolerability of the 2 regimens. 1.2 Study population: 350 inpatients or outpatients will be randomized 1.3 Outcome Primary Endpoint
- Proportion of patients with undetectable viremia (HIV RNA<50 copies/mL) after 48 weeks Secondary Endpoints(s)
- Change in CD4+ cell count from baseline through week 48
- Time to virological rebound Safety endpoints
- Incidence of adverse events (AEs)
- Incidence of serious adverse events (SAEs)
- Discontinuations due to adverse events
- Incidence of grade 3 or 4 laboratory abnormalities. 1.4 Study design Multicentre, parallel group, randomised, open label, non-inferiority study 1.5 Planned sample size: The planned sample size for this trial is 350 patients 1.6 Treatment regimens: Arm A: abacavir/lamivudine 1 tablet once a day + raltegravir 400 mg (1 tablet twice a day) Arm B: abacavir/lamivudine 1 tablet once a day + ritonavir 100 mg + darunavir 800 mg once a day.
All drugs have been approved for the treatment of HIV infection. Administration: oral The study population will consist of 350 HIV-positive, HLA B5701-negative patients. At baseline, patients will be randomized 1:1 to start abacavir/lamivudine plus either raltegravir or darunavir/ritonavir. Randomization will be stratified on the basis of the screening CD4+ cell count (≤100 vs ≥100 cells/µL), to ensure balance across treatments groups 1.7 Criteria for Safety: Adverse events and laboratory assessments. 1.8 Statistical analysis: As this is a non-inferiority trial, we will calculate the difference in the proportions of patients experiencing the primary outcome in the two treatment arms and will calculate a 95% confidence interval for this. Non-inferiority of the raltegravir arm will be demonstrated if the lower limit of the 95% confidence interval is greater than -12%. In case non-inferiority will be met, analyses for superiority will be performed.
Drug: abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir
Drug: abacavir/lamivudine + darunavir/ritonavir
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
- HIV RNA Viral Load [ Time Frame: baseline and week 48 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The proportion of patients attaining an HIV RNA level <50 copies/mL after 48 weeks will be the primary outcome.
|Study Start Date:||July 2013|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir
abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir
|Drug: abacavir/lamivudine + raltegravir|
Active Comparator: abacavir/lamivudine + darunavir/ritonavir
abacavir/lamivudine + darunavir/ritonavir
|Drug: abacavir/lamivudine + darunavir/ritonavir|
No Contacts or Locations Provided