The Use of the PoNS™ Device in the Treatment of Blunt and Blast Induced Vestibular Disorders
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single (Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||The Use of the PoNS™ Device in the Treatment of Blunt and Blast Induced Vestibular Disorders|
- Change in Sensory Organization Test score [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline SOT score at 3 months ]Posturography for Sensory Organization Test: Utilizing a computerized dynamic posturography (Neurocom Inc., Clackmas, OR) the sensory organization test (SOT) is conducted by measuring postural sway on a force plate under six different conditions as follows 1) Normal Stance eyes open, 2) Normal Stance with eyes closed, 3) Normal Stance with sway referenced visual surround, 4) Sway reference stance eyes open, 5) Sway reference stance with eyes closed, and 6) Sway reference stance with sway referenced vision. The SOT will conduct three trials in each condition and utilize the information to produce a computer generated objective score of balance/posture function. The exam takes less than ten minutes to produce.
- Change in Vestibular-Ocular Reflex scores [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline VOR score at 3 months ]VOR Tests: A Neuro Kinetics IPortal Video-oculography system (Neurokinetics Inc., Pittsburgh, PA) with a six degree of freedom accelerometer will be used to (1) document head thrust test findings qualitatively and (2) provide objective measurements of test results. The software will be configured for (1) detection of head thrusts of appropriate direction and orientation (re: earth vertical) and (2) real-time determination of performance parameters (VOR).
- Change in Functional Gait Assessment Test scores [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline FGAT score at 3 months ]The Functional Gait Assessment Test (FGAT) is a 10 item gait task test in which each task is graded on a 0-3 scale with 0 indicating could not perform and 3 indicating performed without error. Grading is done by an experienced rater. The FGAT produces an ordinal score on a 0-30 point scale and is normed from previous civilian and military studies.
- Change in Dizziness Handicap Index scores [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline DHI score at 3 months ]The Dizziness Handicap Index (DHI) is a well-validated self report the produces a score on a hundred-point scale.
- Change in Activities specific Balance Confidence scale scores [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline ABC score at 3 months ]The Activities specific Balance Confidence scale (ABC) is a 16 question survey in which individuals' answer how confident they are about being able to perform a balance related task on a 0%-100% scale. The questionnaire is scored by adding the percentages and dividing by 100% to arrive at a scaled score form 0-100.
|Study Start Date:||July 2013|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||September 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Treatment Arm
Device: PoNS™ device
The PoNS™ device uses electrotactile waveform in conjunction with the Cranial Nerve - Non-Invasive NeuroModulation (CN-NINM) intervention. This involves using both balance and gait training methods to stabilize symptoms, regain balance & gait, and affect the functional transfer of improved stability and mobility to activities of daily living. It is based on a body of work focused on developing the tongue-based human-machine interface and application of this technology for balance, vision, and auditory substitution and more recently as neuromodulation for brain rehabilitation after injury and disease.
Other Name: Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator, version 2.2
Placebo Comparator: Placebo Arm
Other: Placebo device
The CN-NINM intervention is an experimental regimen. It has been developed over the last 12 years at Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Laboratory (TCNL) at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. All human subjects testing was performed under IRB approval. The PoNS™ is an experimental device that has been evolved over this same period at TCNL, and is not FDA approved. An Investigator's Brochure and attendant Safety Chart have been developed to satisfy requirements for an Investigational Device Exemption, and provide additional context with respect to the research proposed here.
The goal of this work is to test the effectiveness of this device with standard rehabilitation therapy on individuals who have operationally induced balance disorders from blunt or blast head trauma.
- To compare the effectiveness of active PoNS-2 (PoNS™) device combined with standard vestibular rehabilitation to a placebo PoNS™ device with vestibular rehabilitation in patients with blast and blunt head trauma induced dizziness over the time period of a standard course of therapy.
- To compare the effectiveness of active PoNS™ device combined with standard vestibular rehabilitation to a placebo PoNS™ device with vestibular rehabilitation in patients with blast and blunt head trauma induced dizziness three months after a standard course of rehabilitation.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01771575
|United States, California|
|Naval Medical Center, San Diego|
|San Diego, California, United States, 92134|
|Principal Investigator:||Michael E. Hoffer, M.D.||United States Naval Medical Center, San Diego|