The Ghana Breast Health Study
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01661023|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 9, 2012
Last Update Posted : March 22, 2019
- Breast cancer is becoming more common in Africa. A higher number of cases appear in women under age 35 than in the developed world. However, little is known about the factors that may contribute to breast cancer in Africa. Researchers want to collect information from female patients in teaching hospitals in Accra and Kumasi, Ghana and to compare this information with that obtained from healthy women in the general population. These two hospitals treat most breast cancers in Ghana. The data will provide information regarding factors that predispose to the development of breast cancer among women in Ghana.
- To identify and study breast cancer risk factors in women in Ghana.
- Women between 18 and 74 years of age who are diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Participants will come from teaching hospitals in Accra and Kumasi, Ghana. Women without breast cancer will be identified from the 2010 Ghanaian Census for comparison purposes
- Participants will answer questions about their health and lifestyle.
- Height, weight, and waist/hip measurements will be collected.
- Blood and saliva samples will be collected.
- Participants will be given a collection kit to collect a stool sample.
- Treatment will not be provided as part of this study.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||4425 participants|
|Official Title:||A Multidisciplinary Study of Breast Cancer in Ghana|
|Study Start Date :||July 19, 2012|
- Breast Cancer [ Time Frame: Within one year of diagnosis ]Pathologically confirmed diagnosis of breast cancer
- Benign breast disease [ Time Frame: At biopsy ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01661023
|University of Ghana|
|Kwane Nkrumah University of Science and Technology|
|Principal Investigator:||Montserrat Garcia-Closas, M.D.||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|