In-Hospital Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment in Aged Acute Medical Patients
The purpose of this study is to compare acute ill elderly medical patients in a geriatric department with general medical departments, and to examine the effects of comprehensive geriatric assessment in the geriatric setting compared with general medical care.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Cross-Sectional
- Comorbidity [ Time Frame: At hospital admission (day 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]By Charlsons Comorbidity Index
- Length of hospital stay [ Time Frame: Number of days of hospitalization an expected average of 8 days ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Participants will be followed for the duration of hospital stay, an expected average of 8 days.
- Acute readmission [ Time Frame: 30 days and 90 days ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The number of acute readmissions in the participants within 30 days and 90 days after the discharge, respectively.
- Mortality [ Time Frame: Within 30 days after hospital admission ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The number of short-term mortality in the participants within 30 days after hospital admission.
|Study Start Date:||January 2010|
|Study Completion Date:||November 2011|
|Primary Completion Date:||November 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Patients admitted to Geriatric Department
The patients receive comprehensive geriatric assessment
Patients admitted to general medical departments
This group do not receive comprehensive geriatric assessment
1) a cross-sectional study followed by 2) a subgroup study by retrospective follow-up
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01506180
|Aarhus University Hospital|
|Aarhus, Central Denmark Region, Denmark, 8000|