CLinical Prediction Rule Score in Veterans
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01418781|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn (Funding withdrawn by the funding agency; study could not be performed.)
First Posted : August 17, 2011
Last Update Posted : March 16, 2016
|Condition or disease|
The purpose of this project is to study the out-patient and inpatient utilization and costs associated with tophaceous gout (a classic form of treatment-failure gout), compare these costs to patients with non-tophaceous gout and evaluate health utilities associated with these gout states. The analyses will be conducted in a manner to support a burden of illness type of presentation / manuscript.
- What are the VA health care costs (inpatient and outpatient) for patients with gout compared to those without gout?
- Does health utility, as calculated by SF-6D, differ in patients with gout compared to patients without gout and between tophaceous and non-tophaceous gout?
- What are the relationships between costs and health utility?
- How does the burden of illness differ by subgroups of gout patients (costs and utilities)?
- What are the VA health care costs for patients with tophaceous gout and are they higher than patients with non-tophaceous gout?
Inclusion criteria Patients with and without gout from the Veterans database described above will be included in the analyses for Study aims 1 and 5. This is approximately 3000 gout patients and 67,000 non-gout patients
Patients with SF-36 data from the above cohort will be included in the analyses for Study aims 2-4. This is approximately 1500 gout patients and 38,000 non-gout patients
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Official Title:||Development of CLinical Prediction Rule Score in Veterans: A Study of Impact of Gout on Health Care Utilization and Costs|
|Study Start Date :||January 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||March 2010|
Patients with ICD-9 for gout
Patients withOUT ICD-9 for gout
Patients with ICD-9 for tophaceous gout
those with ICD-9 for gout other than the codes specific for tophaceous gout
- Health care costs [ Time Frame: Up to 5-year post-survey ]Total of outpatient, inpatient and emergent care costs
- Health utility index, SF-6D [ Time Frame: 18-months ]at 18-month post-survey
- Health care utilization [ Time Frame: 1-year post-survey ]Health care utilization as sum of outpatient, inpatient and emergent care utilization
- Activity limitation on Katz 6 ADL [ Time Frame: 18-months ]Katz 6 ADL questions assess difficulty with doing 6 key activities, bathing, eating, toileting, walking, getting up and climbing stairs
- Mortality [ Time Frame: 5-years ]Up to 5-year post-survey
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01418781
|United States, Minnesota|
|Minneapolis VA Medical Center|
|Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55123|
|Principal Investigator:||David Nelson||Minneapolis VAMC|