Research on Aging Project in Iceland: Second Stage
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01322568|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 24, 2011
Last Update Posted : November 11, 2019
- Researchers are interested in studying the environmental and genetic factors that play a role in health and living conditions as people age. Since 2002, the U.S. National Institute on Aging and the Icelandic Heart Association Research Institute have been conducting a long-term study known as the Research in Aging project to collect personal data and samples from Icelandic men and women in order to study risk factors related to disease and disability in old age. Researchers plan to initiate a second stage of the study.
- To collect additional personal information, medical records, and blood samples from individuals who have previously provided materials for the Research in Aging Project in Iceland.
- Individuals who have previously participated in the Research in Aging project in association with the U.S. National Institute on Aging and the Icelandic Heart Association Research Institute.
- Participants will have a physical examination with imaging analysis procedures and hearing and eye tests, provide information on health and diet, and provide a 100-ml blood sample for testing.
- Participants will also provide consent for researchers to consult data and samples collected during the first stage of the Research on Aging project.
|Condition or disease|
|Atherosclerosis Osteoporosis Obesity Glucose Abnormalities Alzheimer's Disease Vascular Dimentia|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||5764 participants|
|Official Title:||Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility (AGES) Study|
|Study Start Date :||January 31, 2003|
|Study Completion Date :||February 11, 2014|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01322568
|Icelandic Heart Association Research Institute|
|Principal Investigator:||Tamara B Harris, M.D.||National Institute on Aging (NIA)|