Transfusion Strategies in Weaning Patients (WTT)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01256645|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified December 2010 by Krankenhaus Kloster Grafschaft.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : December 8, 2010
Last Update Posted : December 8, 2010
The aim of this study is to determine, whether a liberal transfusion strategy is helpful to liberate patients from prolonged invasive mechanical ventilation.
Patients who are difficult to wean according to the criteria by Boles et al  are limited by the capacity of their respiratory muscles.
Improved oxygen delivery achieved by blood transfusions however is known to decrease the work of breathing  and thus in theory can improve weaning success .
This study is designed as a prospective, randomized, open labeled blinded End-point evaluation to test the hypothesis that a liberal transfusion strategy decreases the time needed for weaning.
- Boles, JM, J Bion, A Connors, M Herridge, B Marsh, C Melot, R Pearl, H Silverman, M Stanchina, A Vieillard-BaronandT Welte, Weaning from mechanical ventilation. Eur Respir J, 2007. 29(5): p. 1033.
- Schonhofer, B, M Wenzel, M GeibelandD Kohler, Blood transfusion and lung function in chronically anemic patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Crit Care Med, 1998. 26(11): p. 1824.
- Schonhofer, B, H BohrerandD Kohler, Blood transfusion facilitating difficult weaning from the ventilator. Anaesthesia, 1998. 53(2): p. 181.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Weaning Patients||Other: blood transfusion||Phase 4|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||120 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Liberal Versus Restrictive Transfusion Management in Patients Being Weaned From Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation|
|Study Start Date :||December 2010|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||February 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||February 2013|
No Intervention: restrictive transfusion
No transfusion given to correct anemia unless vital indication is given
Experimental: liberal transfusion
transfusions are given in single units until Hb is > 12 mg/dl
Other: blood transfusion
application of single units of red blood cell transfusions
- Time to sucessfull weaning [ Time Frame: 14 days ]Time between randomisation an sucessfull liberation from invasive mechanical ventilation
- mortality [ Time Frame: within hospital ]mortality during the hospital stay
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01256645
|Contact: Dieter Köhler, Prof||+49 2972 ext email@example.com|
|Contact: Dominic Dellweg, M.D.||+49 2972 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Schmallenberg, NRW, Germany, 57392|
|Contact: Dieter Koehler, Prof *49 2972 ext 2500 email@example.com|
|Contact: Dominic Dellweg, M.D. +49 2972 ext 3005 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Dominic Dellweg, M.D.|
|Principal Investigator: Thomas Barchfeld, M.D.|
|Study Chair:||Dieter Köhler, Prof||FKKG|
|Principal Investigator:||Dominic Dellweg, M.D.||FKKG|
|Principal Investigator:||Thomas Barchfeld, M.D.||FKKG|