Erlotinib Hydrochloride and Isotretinoin in Treating Patients With Recurrent Malignant Glioma
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01103375|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Slow accrual)
First Posted : April 14, 2010
Last Update Posted : May 30, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Adult Anaplastic Astrocytoma Adult Anaplastic Oligodendroglioma Adult Diffuse Astrocytoma Adult Giant Cell Glioblastoma Adult Glioblastoma Adult Gliosarcoma Adult Mixed Glioma Adult Oligodendroglioma Recurrent Adult Brain Tumor||Drug: erlotinib hydrochloride Drug: isotretinoin Other: laboratory biomarker analysis Genetic: protein expression analysis||Phase 1|
I. To determine the recommended phase II doses of erlotinib (erlotinib hydrochloride) and 13-cis-retinoic acid (CRA) when administered to adults with recurrent malignant glioma who are not receiving cytochrome P450 enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs (EIAEDs).
I. To assess dose-related toxicities. II. To measure 6 month progression-free survival and overall survival. III. To estimate response rates in those patients with measurable disease. IV. To evaluate for epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)vIII, phosphatase and tensin homolog (PTEN), cyclin D1, cyclin E, and RARbeta1 expression in tumor samples from enrolled patients as predictors of clinical benefit from this combination.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study.
Patients receive isotretinoin orally (PO) once daily (QD) on days 1-21 and erlotinib hydrochloride PO QD on days 1-28. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed for up to 2 years.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||5 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I Single Arm Open Label Study of Erlotinib and 13-cis-Retinoic Acid (CRA) in Patients With Recurrent Malignant Gliomas|
|Study Start Date :||May 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2013|
Experimental: Treatment (enzyme inhibitor, immunotherapy)
Patients receive isotretinoin PO QD on days 1-21 and erlotinib hydrochloride PO QD on days 1-28.
Drug: erlotinib hydrochloride
Other: laboratory biomarker analysis
Genetic: protein expression analysis
- Recommended phase II doses of erlotinib hydrochloride and isotretinoin [ Time Frame: 3 weeks ]At least 3 patients will be treated at each dose level and the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) will be determined. Patients will be evaluated for dose-limiting toxicity (DLT) in the first 3 weeks on protocol.
- Toxicity as assessed by National Cancer Institute (NCI) Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) v3.0 [ Time Frame: Up to 2 years ]
- Progression-free survival [ Time Frame: At 6 months ]
- Overall survival [ Time Frame: At 6 months ]
- Response rates (complete or partial response) [ Time Frame: Up to 2 years ]
- EGFRvIII, PTEN, cyclin D1, cyclin E, and RARbeta1 expression in tumor samples [ Time Frame: Pre-study ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01103375
|United States, North Carolina|
|Wake Forest University Health Sciences|
|Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States, 27157|
|Principal Investigator:||Glenn Lesser||Wake Forest University Health Sciences|