Pharmacist - Physician Collaborative Approach to the Management of Metabolic Syndrome
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01099306|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 6, 2010
Last Update Posted : April 6, 2010
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Metabolic Syndrome||Other: Pharmaceutical care services||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||199 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Care Provider)|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Pharmacist - Physician Collaborative Approach to the Management of Metabolic Syndrome|
|Study Start Date :||March 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2009|
Active Comparator: intervention
pharmacist-physician collaborative approach to manage Metabolic syndrome
Other: Pharmaceutical care services
Patients' metabolic components were assessed and managed collaboratively by focused care plan designed by the clinical pharmacist and approved by the physician.Pharmacist emphasized the change in lifestyle, particularly weight loss and physical activity as a first line therapy for at least 3 months, patients were started on drug therapy when needed as recommended by clinical guidelines.
No Intervention: control
physician only team to manage Metabolic syndrome
- Improvements in metabolic syndrome status over the course of this study and absolute mean improvements in individual MS components. [ Time Frame: 6 monthS ]
Primary outcomes were specified as:
- Fasting blood glucose < 110 mg/dl.
- Body weight BMI < 25 kg/m2.
- Waist circumference ≤ 102 cm (40 in) in men and ≤ 88 cm (35 inches) in women.
- Serum triglycerides < 150 mg/dl.
- HDL cholesterol ≥40mg/dl in men and ≥50mg/dl in women.
- Blood pressure < 130/85 mm Hg or < 130/80 mm Hg when patients were diabetic.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01099306
|family medicine clinic JUH|
|Amman, Jordan, 13046|
|Principal Investigator:||Eman Hammad, MSc||University of Jordan/ Faculty of Pharmacy|
|Study Director:||Abla Al bsoul, PhD||University of Jordan/ Faculty of Pharmacy|