MEDEX Hidden Valley 2008
During a multi−week expedition to the Himalaya, we aim to investigate i) whether dietary supplementation with carbohydrate drinks and gels can improve physical performance; and ii) the underlying mechanisms for any observed changes in performance.
We hypothesise that i) carbohydrate supplementation will improve physical performance; and ii) the underlying mechanism of this improvement in performance will include maintenance of body glycogen (sugar) stores, prevention of dehydration and decrease in the incidence of acute mountain sickness.
|Hypoxia||Dietary Supplement: Carbohydrate energy drink Dietary Supplement: Aspartame|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Factorial Assignment
Masking: Participant, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor
Primary Purpose: Other
|Official Title:||MEDEX Hidden Valley 2008|
- Performance (time to complete a physical performance task) [ Time Frame: Mid study ]
- Body composition [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
- Hydration status [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
- Body glucose stores [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
- Oxygen delivery [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
- Acute mountain sickness [ Time Frame: Every day ]
- Spontaneous physical activity level [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
- Rating of perceived exertion during a stepping task [ Time Frame: Pre, mid and post study ]
|Study Start Date:||June 2008|
|Study Completion Date:||December 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Carbohydrate supplements (drinks and gels)
Dietary Supplement: Carbohydrate energy drink
Complex carbohydrates including maltodextrin (97%) dissolved in water to make a a 10% solution, or dissolved in 25mL gels. Ad libitum. Twenty two days.
Other Name: PSP22 Energy, Science in Sport, Blackburn, UK
Placebo Comparator: 2
Primarily Aspartame plus natural flavourings. Powder dissolved in water to provide non-distinguishable placebo drink.
Dietary Supplement: Aspartame
Aspartame dissolved in water, ad libitum, 22 days.
Other Name: Science in Sport, Blackburn, UK
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00731510
|Medical Expeditions Ltd|
|Pinfold, Hyssington, Montgomery, Powys, United Kingdom, SY15 6AY|
|Principal Investigator:||Jamie H Macdonald, PhD||Bangor University|
|Principal Investigator:||Samuel J Oliver, PhD||Bangor University|