Training Mothers of Infants in Infant Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00570869|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 11, 2007
Last Update Posted : April 26, 2012
This research will be a prospective, cohort study to determine if mothers of infants/newborns are more willing to complete CPR training using a 22-minute instructional DVD and infant manikin versus traditional four hour didactic instruction.
Study Hypothesis: A 22-minute instructional DVD and infant manikin will be an effective and preferred tool for teaching mothers of infants infant CPR.
- To determine if mothers of infants are more likely to complete infant CPR training with a 22-minute instructional DVD and infant manikin, than by attending a traditional CPR class.
- To determine if learning infant CPR with a 22-minute instructional DVD and infant manikin is as effective as attending traditional infant CPR class.
- To examine the number of mothers that were offered the opportunity to learn infant CPR either as part of their prenatal classes, or upon the birth of their infant.
- To examine the number of mothers who have been previously trained in CPR.
- To examine the reasons that mothers have been previously trained in CPR (e.g., mandated by work/career vs. personal reasons).
- To examine the multiplier effect of an at home CPR education using a 22-minute instructional DVD and infant manikin at the time of the follow up phone call.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Prevention of Sudden Death||Other: CPR Anytime|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||126 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Training Mothers of Infants in Infant Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Using a 22-Minute Instructional DVD and Infant Manikin|
|Study Start Date :||January 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||December 2008|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2008|
Active Comparator: CPR Class
mothers who are currently certified in CPR (i.e., have taken the traditional CPR class, or have been recertified in CPR by classroom instruction, within the past two years).
Other: CPR Anytime
These participants will be consented, surveyed, asked to watch a 22-minute instructional Infant CPR DVD with an infant manikin.
- Participants will be given written and practical exams to assess their learned CPR skills [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- CPR learning experiences (e.g., ease, quality of instruction, convenience, ) will be analyzed from survey results [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00570869
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Lehigh Valley Hospital|
|Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States, 18103|
|Principal Investigator:||Marna R Greenberg, D.O., MPH||LVH|