Combination Chemotherapy as First-Line Therapy in Treating Patients With Stage IV Gastric Cancer That Cannot Be Removed By Surgery
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00448682|
Recruitment Status : Terminated
First Posted : March 19, 2007
Results First Posted : May 13, 2013
Last Update Posted : February 7, 2017
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as floxuridine, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving more than one drug (combination chemotherapy) may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well combination chemotherapy works as first-line therapy in treating patients with stage IV gastric cancer that cannot be removed by surgery.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Gastric Cancer||Drug: Docetaxel Drug: Floxuridine Drug: Leucovorin Drug: Oxaliplatin||Phase 2|
- Determine the overall response rate in patients with unresectable stage IV gastric adenocarcinoma treated with floxuridine, leucovorin calcium, oxaliplatin, and docetaxel as first-line treatment.
- Determine the feasibility of this regimen in managing patients with unresectable stage IV gastric adenocarcinoma who have not received prior chemotherapy for metastatic disease.
- Determine disease-free survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Evaluate overall survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Assess the safety and toxicity of this regimen in these patients.
OUTLINE: Patients receive oxaliplatin IV over 2 hours on days 1 and 15 and docetaxel IV over 30 minutes, floxuridine IV over 24 hours, and leucovorin calcium IV over 24 hours on days 1, 8, and 15. Treatment repeats every 4 weeks for up to 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed every 3 months for 2 years, every 6 months for 3 years, and then annually thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 26 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||25 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of Weekly 24-hour Infusion 5-fluoro-deoxyuridine (FUdR)/Leucovorin With Oxaliplatin and Docetaxel (Taxotere) as First-line Treatment in Patients With Metastatic Gastric Adenocarcinoma (IIT# 14065)|
|Study Start Date :||June 2005|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2010|
Experimental: FUdR + Leucovorin + Oxaliplatin + Docetaxel (Taxotere)
Treatment will be administered on an outpatient basis. Chemotherapy will be administered weekly, 3 out of 4 weeks, on days 1, 8 and 15:
Day 1 and Day 15 Chemotherapy Administration: Patients will be administered oxaliplatin (85 mg/m2) and docetaxel (25 mg/m2) followed by FUdR/Leucovorin (110 mg/kg//500 mg/m2) on Day 1 and Day 15 of each cycle.
Day 8 Chemotherapy Administration On Day 8, treatment will consist of docetaxel (25 mg/m2) followed by FUdR/Leucovorin (110mg/kg//500mg/m2).
There will be no treatment delivered week 4 (Day 22). For the purpose of this study, one cycle equals four weeks. There will be a maximum of 6 cycles.
Other Name: Taxotere
- Number of Patients Achieving Clinical Response [ Time Frame: 1 year ]Number of patients achieving complete response (CR) or partial response (PR) according to RECIST Criteria version 1.0.
- Overall Rate of Survival [ Time Frame: 1 year ]Patients will be followed for overall survival from date of enrollment to date of death or last contact. The extent of follow up will be described by the range and median for deceased patients and for those alive at last follow up. We will estimate the 1 year survival rates by the Kaplan-Meier method.
- Number of Participants Experiencing Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 1 year ]Number of participants experiencing adverse events within 1 year of receiving combination therapy of FUDR + Leucovorin + Oxaliplatin + Docetaxel for metastatic gastric adenocarcinoma.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00448682
|United States, Florida|
|University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center - Miami|
|Miami, Florida, United States, 33136|
|Study Chair:||Bach Ardalan, MD||University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center|