B181 Metobes-III: Weight Loss Maintenance of a New Bioactive Compound (Metobes-Long)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00302263|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 14, 2006
Last Update Posted : March 14, 2006
To investigate the 5-hour acute effect on energy expenditure, substrate oxidation and ad libitum food intake after intake of the Metobes-compound (green tea extract, capsaicin, tyrosine, caffeine). Furthermore, to investigate if the effect of the Metobes-compound can be inhibited by blocking the β-adrenergic receptors.
The effect of the Metobes-compound will be investigated by:
- 5-hour energy expenditure and respiratory quotient (ventilated hood).
- 5-h change in blood pressure and heart rate
- 5-h change in sympathetic/parasympathetic ratio.
- Ad libitum energy intake.
- Self-reported postprandiel appetite sensations (VAS).
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity||Drug: Metobes-compound||Phase 2 Phase 3|
Subjects 22 healthy Danish overweight to obese men (BMI between 25 and 35 kg/m2), 18 to 50 years of age. All subjects must be weight stable (within 3-kg) 2 months prior to study inclusion, non-smoking, non-athletic and have no daily use of medication.
The study is designed as a 4-way crossover, randomised, placebo controlled, double-blind study. Each treatment will be separated by >1-week washout period. The treatments will consist of:
- Bioactive Metobes compound (green tea extract, tyrosine, caffeine and capsaicin) without calcium together with 5 mg propranolol.
- Bioactive Metobes compound (green tea extract, tyrosine, caffeine and capsaicin) without calcium together with 10 mg propranolol.
- Bioactive Metobes compound (green tea extract, tyrosine, caffeine and capsaicin) without calcium together with a placebo tablet for propranolol (microcrystalline cellulose).
- Placebo for the Metobes compound (microcrystalline cellulose) together with a placebo tablet for propranolol (microcrystalline cellulose).
On each test day body weight and composition will be assessed. All subjects will undergo a 5-h post dose assessment of energy expenditure by indirect calorimetry in a ventilated hood. Subjective appetite sensations, ECG and dual measures of blood pressure/heart rate will be assessed every 30 minutes. After completed respiratory measurements the subjects will be served an ad libitum lunch meal (pasta salad).
All subjects shall collect all urine excreted during the respiratory measurements. Urine samples will be analyzed for nitrogen content and content of catecholamines.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Enrollment :||22 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Official Title:||B181 Metobes-III: Weight Loss Maintenance of a New Bioactive Compound (Metobes-Long)|
|Study Start Date :||January 2005|
|Study Completion Date :||April 2005|
- Energy expenditure
- substrate oxidation
- energy intake
- subjective appetite sensations
- sympathetic/parasympathetic ratio
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00302263
|Department of Human Nutrition, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University|
|Frederiksberg, Denmark, 1958|
|Principal Investigator:||Jens Kondrup, PhD||Department of Human Nutrition, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark|