Celecoxib in Preventing Head and Neck Cancer in Patients With Oral Leukoplakia
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00101335|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 10, 2005
Last Update Posted : July 11, 2013
RATIONALE: Chemoprevention is the use of certain drugs to keep cancer from forming, growing, or coming back. The use of celecoxib may prevent or treat head and neck cancer.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase II trial is studying celecoxib to see how well it works compared to placebo in preventing head and neck cancer in patients with oral leukoplakia.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Head and Neck Cancer Precancerous Condition||Drug: celecoxib||Phase 2|
- Compare the clinical efficacy of celecoxib vs placebo, in terms of inducing regression of oral leukoplakia lesions, in patients with hyperplastic or dysplastic oral leukoplakia.
- Determine the effect of this drug in modulating multiple intermediate biomarkers (e.g., COX-2, PPARγ, or PPARδ) in normal and hyperplastic or dysplastic oral epithelia of these patients.
- Determine the safety of this drug in these patients.
- Determine the cost-effectiveness of this drug as a chemopreventative agent in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study. Patients are stratified according to the pathology of the leukoplakia lesion (dysplasia vs hyperplasia). Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive oral celecoxib twice daily for 3 months.
- Arm II: Patients receive oral placebo twice daily for 3 months. All patients undergo biopsy. Patients then cross-over to the opposite treatment arm for 3 months.
In both arms, treatment continues in the absence of unacceptable toxicity or disease progression.
Patients are followed at 1 month.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 27-60 patients (18-40 for study drug, 9-20 for placebo before cross-over) will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Phase IIb Cancer Prevention Trial of Celecoxib, a Selective COX-2 Inhibitor, in Oral Leukoplakia|
|Study Start Date :||November 2003|
|Primary Completion Date :||January 2005|
|Study Completion Date :||January 2005|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00101335
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Fox Chase Cancer Center|
|Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, 19111-2497|
|Principal Investigator:||Paul F. Engstrom, MD||Fox Chase Cancer Center|