BCX-1777 in Treating Patients With Refractory Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00073944|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 11, 2003
Last Update Posted : May 30, 2013
RATIONALE: BCX-1777 may stop the growth of cancer cells by blocking the enzymes necessary for their growth.
PURPOSE: Phase I trial to study the effectiveness of BCX-1777 in treating patients who have refractory cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cancer||Drug: forodesine hydrochloride||Phase 1|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose of BCX-1777 in patients with refractory T-cell or non-T-cell malignancies.
- Determine the safety and dose-limiting toxicity of this drug in these patients.
- Determine the pharmacokinetics of single oral and single and multiple IV doses of this drug in these patients.
- Determine the oral bioavailability of this drug in these patients.
- Determine, preliminarily, the antitumor activity of this drug in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is an open-label, nonrandomized, dose-escalation, multicenter study.
- Courses 1 and 2: Patients receive oral BCX-1777 on days 1 and 15* and BCX-1777 IV over 30 minutes on days 8* and 22*.
- Course 3: Beginning approximately 6 days* after the completion of courses 1 and 2, patients receive BCX-1777 IV over 30 minutes once daily on days 1-5 and 8-12 (total of 10 doses).
NOTE: *+/- 1 day
Patients with stable disease or better and no dose-limiting toxicity (DLT) may receive an additional 10-dose treatment course (as in course 3) after a 10- to 16-day drug-free interval.
Treatment continues in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of BCX-1777 until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 3 or 2 of 6 patients experience DLT.
Patients are followed at 14 and 30 days.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 3-24 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase I Pharmacology Study Of Oral And Intravenous BCX-1777 In Patients With Refractory T-Cell And Non-T-Cell Malignancies|
|Study Start Date :||April 2003|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2005|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00073944
|United States, Ohio|
|Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center|
|Cleveland, Ohio, United States, 44195|
|Study Chair:||Alex Shalaurov, MD, PhD||Inveresk Research Group, Incorporated|