Rituximab, Prednisone, Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, and Yttrium Y 90 Ibritumomab Tiuxetan in Treating Patients With Previously Untreated Mantle Cell Lymphoma
RATIONALE: Monoclonal antibodies, such as rituximab and yttrium Y 90 ibritumomab tiuxetan, can locate cancer cells and either kill them or deliver radioactive cancer-killing substances to them without harming normal cells. Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as prednisone, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine, use different ways to stop cancer cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Combining monoclonal antibody therapy with chemotherapy may kill more cancer cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well giving rituximab and combination chemotherapy together with yttrium Y 90 ibritumomab tiuxetan works in treating patients with previously untreated mantle cell lymphoma.
|Lymphoma||Biological: rituximab Drug: cyclophosphamide Drug: doxorubicin hydrochloride Drug: prednisone Drug: vincristine sulfate Radiation: yttrium Y 90 ibritumomab tiuxetan||Phase 2|
|Study Design:||Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Study of Rituximab (NSC 687451) + CHOP Followed by 90Y-Ibritumomab Tiuxetan (NSC 710085) in Patients With Previously Untreated Mantle Cell Lymphoma|
|Study Start Date:||November 2003|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2006|
- Determine the time to treatment failure in patients with previously untreated mantle cell lymphoma treated with rituximab and CHOP chemotherapy comprising prednisone, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine followed by yttrium Y 90 ibritumomab tiuxetan (IDEC-Y2B8; yttrium Y 90 Zevalin®).
- Determine the response rate in patients at the completion of rituximab and CHOP and the incremental response rate after IDEC-Y2B8.
- Determine the toxicity of this regimen in these patients.
- Correlate serum rituximab levels with response in patients treated with this regimen.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
- CHOP chemotherapy and rituximab: Patients receive cyclophosphamide IV, doxorubicin IV, vincristine IV, and rituximab IV on day 1 and oral prednisone on days 1-5 (R + CHOP). Treatment repeats every 21 days for 4 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients who have responding or stable disease proceed to radioimmunotherapy.
- Radioimmunotherapy: Within 4-7 weeks after the completion of R + CHOP chemotherapy, patients receive rituximab IV and an imaging dose of indium In 111 ibritumomab tiuxetan IV over 10 minutes on day 1. Patients then undergo whole body gamma imaging scans during the first day (2-24 hours) and the second or third day (48-72 hours) after injection. In the absence of altered biodistribution, patients receive rituximab IV followed by yttrium Y 90 ibritumomab tiuxetan (IDEC-Y2B8; yttrium Y 90 Zevalin®) IV over 10 minutes on day 8.
Patients are followed every 3 months for 2 years, every 6 months for 3 years, and then annually for 5 years.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 57 patients will be accrued for this study within 2.8 years.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00070447
Show 87 Study Locations
|Study Chair:||Mitchell R. Smith, MD, PhD||Fox Chase Cancer Center|
|OverallOfficial:||Leo I. Gordon, MD||Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center|