Flavopiridol in Treating Patients With Recurrent or Metastatic Head and Neck Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00020189|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : June 19, 2013
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy work in different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die.
PURPOSE: Phase II trial to study the effectiveness of flavopiridol in treating patients who have recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Head and Neck Cancer Thromboembolism||Drug: acetylsalicylic acid Drug: alvocidib Drug: clopidogrel bisulfate||Phase 2|
- Determine the standard response rate (complete response and partial response) and duration of response in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck treated with flavopiridol.
- Determine the qualitative and quantitative toxic effects of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the progression-free and overall survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the effects of anti-platelet agents, aspirin and clopidogrel bisulfate, on the pharmacology of flavopiridol in these patients.
- Determine the effects of prophylactic anticoagulation with anti-platelet agents, aspirin and clopidogrel bisulfate, on the incidence of flavopiridol-related thrombosis in these patients.
OUTLINE: Patients receive flavopiridol IV over 1 hour on days 1-5. Courses repeat every 3 weeks in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Patients also receive oral aspirin and clopidogrel bisulfate beginning on day 0 and continuing throughout the study.
Patients are followed until death.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 12-37 patients will be accrued for this study within 1-3 years.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Trial of Daily Bolus Flavopiridol for Five Consecutive Days in Patients With Recurrent/Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck (SCCHN)|
|Study Start Date :||June 2000|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 2004|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00020189
|United States, Maryland|
|Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center - NCI Clinical Studies Support|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892-1182|
|Center for Cancer Research|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Study Chair:||Barbara A. Conley, MD||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|