Calcitriol Plus Dexamethasone in Treating Patients With Prostate Cancer That Has Not Responded to Hormone Therapy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00010231|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 6, 2003
Last Update Posted : March 30, 2015
RATIONALE: Combining calcitriol with dexamethasone may increase the effectiveness of therapy by making cancer cells more sensitive to dexamethasone.
PURPOSE: Phase I trial to study the effectiveness of calcitriol combined with dexamethasone in treating patients who have prostate cancer that has not responded to previous hormone therapy.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer||Dietary Supplement: calcitriol Drug: dexamethasone||Phase 1|
- Determine the maximum tolerated dose of calcitriol administered alone and in combination with dexamethasone in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer.
- Determine the pharmacokinetics of calcitriol with and without dexamethasone in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study of calcitriol.
In the first stage of the study, cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of oral calcitriol on days 1-3. Dose escalation continues until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined.
In the second stage, patients receive escalating doses of oral calcitriol on days 1-3 and a fixed dose of oral dexamethasone on days 0-4. Treatment continues weekly in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Dose escalation continues until the MTD is determined.
Six additional patients may receive calcitriol and dexamethasone at one dose level below the MTD determined in the second stage, to confirm the MTD.
The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which 2 of 3 or 2 of 6 patients experience dose-limiting toxicity.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: Approximately 40 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||22 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase I Study Of Oral, 1,25 Dihydroxycholecalciferol (Calcitriol) + Dexamethasone In Hormone-refractory Prostate Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||June 1999|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2002|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2002|
- MTD of calcitriol (oral) administered for 3 days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday -MTW) weekly in men with hormone-refractory prostate cancer [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- MTD of calcitriol (oral, MTW weekly + dexamethasone (oral, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - SMTW) in men with hormone refractory prostate cancer [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- whether dexamethasone permits the administration of calcitriol without the development of hypercalcemia in patients who developed hypercalcemia while receiving calcitriol alone [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- pharmacokinetics of calcitriol when given as a single agent and following 3 days of dexamethasone [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- effects of calcitriol +/- dexamethasone on serum PTH, urinary calcium and MAPK activity and VDR expression in serum, urine and PBMs , respectively, in this patient population [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00010231
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute|
|Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States, 15213-3489|
|Study Chair:||Gurkamal S. Chatta, MD||University of Pittsburgh|