Cisplatin, Gemcitabine, Interferon Alfa, and Hyperthermia in Treating Patients With Advanced Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00004063|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified December 2008 by National Cancer Institute (NCI).
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : January 27, 2003
Last Update Posted : April 30, 2009
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy use different ways to stop tumor cells from dividing so they stop growing or die. Interferon alfa may interfere with the growth of cancer cells. Hyperthermia therapy kills tumor cells by heating them to several degrees above body temperature. Combining hyperthermia with chemotherapy and interferon alfa may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase I/II trial is studying the side effects of cisplatin, gemcitabine, interferon alfa, and whole-body hyperthermia and how well they work in treating patients with metastatic, recurrent, or refractory cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Biological: recombinant interferon alfa Drug: cisplatin Drug: gemcitabine hydrochloride Procedure: hyperthermia treatment||Phase 1 Phase 2|
- Determine the toxicity and tumor response in patients with metastatic, recurrent, or refractory malignancies treated with cisplatin, gemcitabine, interferon alfa, and long-duration, low temperature whole body hyperthermia (LL-WBH).
OUTLINE: This is a dose escalation study of cisplatin.
- Phase I and II: Patients receive gemcitabine IV over 30 minutes on day 1 and 8. Patients receive cisplatin IV over 6 hours on day 15, followed by subcutaneous interferon alfa on days 16 and 17. Patients undergo long-duration, low temperature whole body hyperthermia over 6 hours plus gemcitabine over 30 minutes on day 17. Courses repeat every 5 weeks in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Phase I: Cohorts of 3-6 patients receive escalating doses of cisplatin until the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) is determined. The MTD is defined as the dose preceding that at which at least 2 of 3 or 2 of 6 patients experience dose limiting toxicity. The MTD of cisplatin is used for phase II study.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 30 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Official Title:||A Phase I-II Clinical Trial of Cisplatin (Platinol) Followed by Gemcitabine HCl (Gemzar) in Combination With Mild, Fever-Range Whole Body Hyperthermia (LL-WBH) at 40C in Patients With Advanced Malignancies|
|Study Start Date :||August 1999|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||November 2011|
- Response duration
- Duration of stable disease
- Overall survival
- Progression-free survival
- Time to response
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00004063
|United States, Texas|
|University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston||Recruiting|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77225|
|Contact: Joan M.C. Bull, MD 713-500-6820 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Study Chair:||Joan M.C. Bull, MD||The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston|