Antineoplaston Therapy in Treating Patients With Neurofibroma and Schwannoma
RATIONALE: Current therapies for adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma provide limited benefit to the patient. The anti-cancer properties of Antineoplaston therapy suggest that it may prove beneficial in the treatment of adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma.
PURPOSE: This study is being performed to determine the effects (good and bad) that Antineoplaston therapy has on adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma.
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Study of Antineoplastons A19 and AS2-1 in Patients With Neurofibroma and Schwannoma|
- Number of Participants with Objective Response [ Time Frame: 12 months ]Objective response rate per Response Assessment in Neuro-Oncology (RANO) for target lesions and assessed by MRI: Complete Response (CR), disappearance of all disease sustained for at least four weeks; Partial Response (PR), >=50% decrease in the sum of the products of of the greatest perpendicular diameters of all measurable enhancing lesions, sustained for at least four weeks.
- Percentage of Participants who Survived [ Time Frame: 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months ]6 months, 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 60 months overall survival
|Study Start Date:||March 1999|
|Study Completion Date:||August 2001|
|Primary Completion Date:||August 2001 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Antineoplaston therapy
Antineoplaston therapy (Atengenal + Astugenal) by IV infusion every four hours for at least 12 months. Study subjects receive increasing dosages of Atengenal and Astugenal until the maximum tolerated dose is reached.
Drug: Antineoplaston therapy (Atengenal + Astugenal)
Adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma will receive Antineoplaston therapy (Atengenal + Astugenal).
Other Name: A10 (Atengenal); AS2-1 (Astugenal)
OVERVIEW: This is a single arm, open-label study in which adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma receive gradually escalating doses of intravenous Antineoplaston therapy (Atengenal + Astugenal) until the maximum tolerated dose is reached. Treatment continues for at least 12 months in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- To determine the efficacy of Antineoplaston therapy in adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma, as measured by an objective response to therapy (complete response, partial response or stable disease).
- To determine the safety and tolerance of Antineoplaston therapy in adults with a recurrent/residual Neurofibroma or Schwannoma.
- To determine objective response, tumor size is measured utilizing MRI scans, which are performed every 8 weeks for the first two years, every 3 months for the third and fourth years, every 6 months for the 5th and sixth years, and annually thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 20-40 patients will be accrued to this study.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT02988726
|United States, Texas|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77055-6330|
|Principal Investigator:||Stanislaw R. Burzynski, MD, PhD||Burzynski Research Institute|