Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Therapy in Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
Biological: mesenchymal stem cells
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Safety and Efficacy Investigation of Patients With Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy by Transplantation of Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells|
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) scores. [ Time Frame: 180 days ]The NIHSS is a systematic assessment tool that provides a quantitative measure of stroke-related neurologic deficit. Values range from 0 (no deficit) to 42 (dead).
- The Barthel Index [ Time Frame: before treatment and post cell transplantation:15,90,180 days ]The Barthel Index measures 10 activities of daily living and mobility. A score of 100 is best (able to live at home with a degree of independence), 0 is worst.
- The Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) [ Time Frame: before treatment and post cell transplantation:15,90,180 days ]The Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) is a screening test for cognitive dysfunction. The test consists of five sections (orientation, registration, attention-calculation, recall, and language); the total score can range from 0 to 30, with a higher score indicating better function.
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment(MoCA) [ Time Frame: before treatment and post cell transplantation:15,90,180 days ]The Montreal Cognitive Assessment(MoCA) is a brief 30-point screening instrument that was developed and validated to identify subjects with mild cognitive impairment. 30 is the maximum score, with a score of 26 or higher considered normal and below 26 indicative of Mild Cognitive Impairment.
- Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) [ Time Frame: before treatment and post cell transplantation:15,90,180 days. ]The UPDRS score has 4 components. Part I assesses mentation; Part II assesses activities of daily living; Part III assesses motor abilities; Part IV assesses complications of therapy. A total of 44 items are included in Parts I-III. Each item will receive a score ranging from 0 to 4 where 0 represents the absence of impairment and 4 represents the highest degree of impairment. Part IV contains 11 items, 4 of these items are scored 0-4 in the same manner, and 7 are scored 0-1, with 0 indicating the absence of impairment and 1 indicating the presence of impairment. Total UPDRS score represents the sum of these items in Parts I-IV. A total of 199 points are possible. 199 represents the worst (total) disability), 0--no disability.
- adverse reaction [ Time Frame: post cell transplantation:15,90,180 days ]adverse reaction include temperature changes,the change of blood pressure,anaphylaxis,seizure,renal dysfunction,or hepatic injury by monitoring blood routine, urinalysis, ALT,AST,Urea,Crea and electrocardiogram etc.
|Study Start Date:||September 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: mesenchymal stem cells
Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells at a dose of 100-800 million by intravenous infusion
Biological: mesenchymal stem cells
Procedure: On the basis of conventional therapy, at the same time, selected patients were given by intravenous infusion of umbilical cord blood stem cells 100-800 million. All patients before treatment, after treatment for 15days, 90days and 180 days were evaluated respectively the curative effect.
Intravenous infusion of umbilical cord derived mesenchymal stem cells
To date,hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy is refractory, including after carbon monoxide poisoning, cardiopulmonary resuscitation,hemorrhagic shock and cerebral infarction etc. We used Mesenchymal Stem Cells via portal vein infusion method to treat hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. With different durations of follow-up, we cleared therapeutic effect, the quality of life and prognostic implications of the cord blood stem cell infusion on hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, and evaluated the adverse reactions, through the neurological function score (NIHSS，Barthel Index), cognitive score (MoCA, MMSE),and the international uniform Parkinson Rating Scale score (UPDRS). Here, we seek new means for the treatment of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, and provide the basis for clinical for further application of umbilical cord blood derived Mesenchymal stem cells.
On the basis of conventional therapy, at the same time, selected patients were given by intravenous infusion of umbilical cord blood stem cells 100-800 million. All patients before treatment, after treatment for 15days, 90days and 180 days were evaluated respectively the curative effect. The neurological function score (NIHSS score, Barthel Index) was observed in patients with the ability to live independently and prognosis; MoCA, MMSE were used in the evaluation of cognitive function ；UPDRS was used in the evaluation of extrapyramidal tract function.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01962233
|the First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|
|Shijiazhuang, Hebei, China, 050031|
|Study Chair:||Baoyong Yan, Doctor||The First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|
|Study Director:||Ping Gu, Doctor||The First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|
|Principal Investigator:||Yanyong Wang, Doctor||The First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|
|Principal Investigator:||Lina Zhang, Master||The First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|
|Principal Investigator:||Jun Zhang, Master||The First Hospital of Hebei Medical University|