The Effects of HMB, ATP, and HMB Plus ATP on Muscle Mass, Strength, and Power in Resistance Trained Athletes
The purpose of this study is to
- determine the effects of 12 weeks of HMB free acid gel, ATP, and HMB free acid gel plus ATP supplementation in trained individuals during a periodized training program on skeletal muscle hypertrophy, body composition, strength, force, velocity, and peak power during loaded and unloaded vertical jumps.
Additionally, the study will determine if either supplementation protocol prevents the typical decay seen in performance following an overreaching cycle performed in the 9th and 10th weeks of the study.
Finally, the study will elucidate the mechanisms of action of supplementation on protein breakdown by analyzing serum indices of muscle damage (CK, LDH) and anabolic status (Testosterone:Cortisol ratio) as well as a urinary indicator of protein breakdown (3-methylhistidine).
We hypothesize that under these conditions that the supplementation protocols will augment skeletal muscle hypertrophy, strength, and power and that HMB will blunt increases in serum indices of muscle damage, and urinary indices of protein breakdown.
|Healthy Experienced Weight Training Males||Dietary Supplement: Placebo Dietary Supplement: HMB Dietary Supplement: Peak ATP and HMB Dietary Supplement: ATP|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Participant, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Basic Science
|Official Title:||The Effects of HMB, ATP, and HMB Plus ATP on Muscle Mass, Strength, and Power in Resistance Trained Athletes|
- Increased muscle strength, force, and power after intense weight training [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]
- Increased muscle hypertrophy [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]
|Study Start Date:||January 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||October 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Dietary Supplement: Placebo
An oral placebo capsule will be taken each morning and three dosages of a placebo gel containing polydextrose will be taken 3 times daily for 12 weeks.
Dietary Supplement: HMB
A placebo capsule will be taken each morning and three dosages of HMB gel, each providing 1 g of HMB, will be taken daily for a total of 3 g HMB per day for 12 weeks.
|Experimental: ATP and HMB||
Dietary Supplement: Peak ATP and HMB
One capsule containing 400 mg of Peak ATP will be taken in the morning and three dosages of HMB gel, each providing 1 g of HMB, will be taken daily for a total of 3 g HMB per day for 12 weeks.
Dietary Supplement: ATP
One capsule containing 400 mg of Peak ATP will be taken daily in the morning for 12 weeks.
In a randomized and double blind study the subjects will consume either placebo supplements, HMB supplement, ATP supplement, or HMB plus ATP supplements for 12 weeks. While consuming the supplements the subjects will undergo an extensive resistance training program designed to train all major muscle groups. An additional overreaching training cycle during weeks 9 and 10 which will involve a high-volume, hypertrophy style training program.
Subject testing will consist of the following:
- Strength and power at weeks 0, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, and 12
- Range of motion and muscle soreness at weeks 0, 1, 8, 9, and 10
- Body composition and muscle assessments at weeks 0, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, and 12
- Body fat assessments at weeks 0, 4, 8, and 12
- Blood biochemical measurements at weeks 0, 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, and 12
- Urinary analysis for protein breakdown (3-methylhistidine) at 0, 1, 8, 9, and 10 weeks
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01508338
|United States, Florida|
|University of Tampa|
|Tampa, Florida, United States, 33606|
|Study Director:||John A Rathmacher, PhD||Metabolic Technologies Inc.|